Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 dodge cummins 3500 6 speed 66,000 mi .That the first sign of trouble was a fast idle (1100-1200) and up & down when stopping after a 95mi run, then 2 mi later started to give me a dead pedal for a few seconds. Did it several more times in the next few miles. After the funeral i found a parts house and bought two new fuel filters and put one in and started home.Dead pedal several times on the way back home til it wouldn't clear back up after idling for 20 minutes on road side. Never died, just gas pedal did nothing. Last 22 miles on a wrecker. I don't have a shop manual for this truck ( only the 2nd vehicle i'v owned that i didn't buy a manual for) so i thought i could find out to do on here, so far i have found i need a fuel pressure gauge and how to do the key thing , found codes 0121 , 1693 , 0500. My trouble is either #1 lift pump #2APPS #3 Fuel injection pump OR all 3 What is my next step and how little money will it cost me??? Thanks ahead of time for all the answers i hope to get. I now think i need to drive it after i get a fuel pressure gauge til it acts up and check codes again.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I would lean towards the apps, do you have a fuel gauge? what is your fuel pressure.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a gauge yet. My brother-in-law put his gauge on it but i don't trust a gauge that won't return to 0 every time...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked fuel pressure today, 15lb for 20-30 seconds then bleeds backof. With the motor running in the driveway at 3000 rpm its still 10-12lbs. my hose is to short to check on the road, but it looks like it's not the lift pump, right??? How shall i check the APPS???

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
An update, i've checked the fuel pressure properly now while driving down the road i get 10-12lbs at full throttle up to 3000rpm. I added an extension onto my gauge hose and ran the hose under the edge of hood and in open window. The only trouble was engine movement/road vibration loosened my connection at the injection pump causing pressure to fall off to 0lbs at first try, but after finding out diesel was leaking at the connection, i retightened and tryed again and got a good reading with a high of 15-16lbs and a low of 10-12lbs low.
Then i ordered a APPS from [email protected] and just a few days later i received my order and after a couple of days of waffling i installed it, adjusted voltage and so far its doing great.
I will keep on testing and let you know any changes or if i need more help, Thanks everyone. Sam

1 - 6 of 6 Posts