Cummins Diesel Forum banner

FASS Titanium gelling constantly

12K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  ISBCUMMINS 
#1 ·
I installed a 95 GPH grey model back in august; and it ran great up until it got cold. I live in central Minnesota so temps hover between 0-10 degrees for the majority of time during winter. You can't buy anything but #1 from like October to March and I always run either Howe's fuel conditioner or power service. In the 3 years I've had the truck; it almost never gelled. Right up until I put the FASS in. It gels about every week; and each time I put new filters on, it will run at 16-17 psi for a few days, then spikes to 25-30 while driving. I'm wondering if any of you northern boys are having any of the same issues running these pumps. I looked into the electric heater option but it sounds like it only heats when the key is on, not necessarily ideal for my situation. I know they've got a way to cycle coolant through the pump; but I'm hoping that's last resort because it would be a . Any help or tips would be appreciated!

#2 ·
Have you filled up your tank since this has happened? Two years ago I had this happen to me a couple times in the same week. I ended up draining the tank, and putting fresh fuel in.
I didn't have the problem since. I think I got a batch of fuel that had a lot of water in it and no matter how much treatment I put in it still gelled.

Reactions: LNaugle
#4 · (Edited)
I am pretty sure the fass units use a 3 micron filter. Maby droping back to a 7 (stock rateing) for winter months might help. I bet this Spencer guy ^ knows a thing or to about fuel prep! If you find a helpfull tip be sure to share with the rest of the class.

#5 ·
I dont see why a fass would have any effect on the fuel gelling. Im running a fass with no problems. Had a few days of -10 degree weather with no gelling. Im going to bet its the fuel with the small micron filter.

#6 ·
Where you at in minnesota? ive got a 150 running with no problems.

#7 ·
I've got the FWS-3003 on the draw tube side; and the FS-1001 on the water separator side. I work for Caterpillar and tried using their filters that are on the cross reference guide but it only seemed to make it worse. I've been thinking of installing a sump so I can drain the tank and start over fresh but it's been so damn cold I haven't gotten around to it. It's such a pain in the to get filters here on short notice because you've gotta order them online. Today driving into work, it ran at 16-17 psi steady at lower speeds regardless of rpm, but at highway speeds it was pretty much pegged to 30psi. I try and keep the tank full, and I've been filling at different stations to make sure it wasn't a bad batch but I think you're right Brennan, there must be some water in the tank that just can't work it's way out

#8 ·
To me sounds like there is something else going on. The pressure should not increase all the way up to 30psi. Thicker fuel can cause the pressure to increase a small amount but not that much. Driving at highway speeds or slow speeds should not increase the pressure. The FASS is pumping at one steady speed no matter what you are doing, this is why you get a pressure drop of 1-2 psi when you romp on the throttle. Couple things that could change the pressure would be a pinched return, where is yours returning to? Filler neck? or the truck is over charging and putting to many volts to the pump.

#9 ·
Where is your fuel pressure sending unit tapped into? Before the lift pump or after? If it is before then a restriction in the supply line would explain the pressure spike. After the LP would mean the pump is spiking in pressure for some reason. Like he said ^^^^ when it spikes, what does your alternator voltage look like?

#10 ·
oooo I have had gelling issues, alright, up state ny -10 f zero or more but I am not convinced its related to my FASS titanium (blue model). Maybe its the filers or the fuel. I use the FASS filters , 3 micron, and drain the water separator often. Not sure what it is. Its been so bad, the fuse blew once. Some fuel is definitely better than others. That I have found out for sure. Especially when I am in an unfamiliar area and need to fill up. So far this year, I haven't had an issue, but I've been doubling up on the Howes when its cold. But once this year, I was close, I could hear the pump, making more noise, almost like straining, pressure was up to 22 then it would drop to 9, and repeat, but it kept running that time luckily. I keep a quart of 911 in the cab, and two extra filters, just in case. I did bypass my stock fuel bowl and heater, I am running the 3/8 line the pump came with but I know others that have done this and never had an issue either. I am in the same boat as you. I was considering using a less fine filter, but I hate to do that if I don't have to.

#11 ·
I have never heard of a pump physically gelling, only the fuel. I would bet a large sum of money that all the issues everyone is having is related to the fuel. I could see some of the filters that are down to a 3 micron maybe slowing things up a bit but then again that is a fuel issue. If it has a hard time making it through that 3 micron filter you probably dont want it going through your VP44 or injectors. Just saying... I dont mean push anyone's buttons or anything.

#13 ·
Yeah and it's not a steady 30 psi either; it bounces all around from 18-30 at high rpm, and mellows out to about 20psi when going slow and at idle. The return is running to the filler neck, and the sender is plumbed right into the pump at the port just above the FWS-3003 filter. I bypassed the stock bowl and the supply from the FASS is running directly to the injection pump. I'll have to crawl under there tomorrow and make sure that return isn't pinched or anything. I've never had problems with overcharging in the truck, I would think I'd be having issues with other systems if it was overcharging

#14 ·
I've been having the same exact problem with my airdog. 2 weeks ago my truck died on me, replaced filters and all was good till earlier this week. For the 4.5 years it's been on there pressure never went above 17 or below 14 and rescently it's been anywhere from zero to 25. Twice now I've started it in the morning, pressure was around 10 so I shut it off and left it home, then in the afternoon with barely any temperature difference it starts normal with normal pressure and drives normal. I started to think the cold mornings is messing with the pump itself. Been running howes and diesel 911 too

Reactions: leritz
#16 ·
I would say try an aftermarket plate fuel heater BUT I know from experience that electric fuel pump do not like the heat. You could also try adding 10-20% gasoline.

#17 ·
i called FASS, they said the heater is after the filter, so that may not help as much as I thought. Plus, it runs on a separate harness, so that would have to be run as well. However, I know many people in much colder areas with no heater, 3 micron filters and no problem. It must be the fuel, around where I am, we are not used to the cold, I bet the fuel stations don't always treat it. One place I know of in NJ, says he's not allowed to treat it by state law. That sure explains a lot. I know some truck drivers that treat it with gasoline in small levels too, added bonus is that it is cheaper too. I really hate to go that route but it does seem to work for them.

#19 ·
Yeah it's really odd because running at 55-60 mph under 2000 rpm it stays below 20 psi when it's bouncing around, but if I put the screws to it; the gauge will peg at 30 and then bounce around above 25psi. Like the FASS rep spencer said; usually you'll notice a slight drop in pressure when you give her the beans.

#20 ·
I live in mcauley canada and have a fass on my 01 and i only just put the heater in and its been really cold here like almost fourty below and iv never had any problems with my fuel even before the heater it would run fine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.