Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a Fass pump on an 02, now it is very hard to start. It runs good once it is started. I'm sure it is losing prime. If I loosed the filter lid and let it prime, it will start right up. Does the pump have a check valve? Or is there a hole in a fuel line?(no visible leaks)

·
Registered
993 Posts
Sounds like there is a leak somewhere letting air back in when shut off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I just tried it and got it started, shut it off for 10 seconds. It would not start again...
I got it started and ran it for a little bit.. shut it off and it wouldn't start back immediatly, any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
I just tried it and got it started, shut it off for 10 seconds. It would not start again...
I got it started and ran it for a little bit.. shut it off and it wouldn't start back immediatly, any suggestions.
Do you have a HPFP or FASS? You said filter lid...so i assume HPFP......

We talking our pump or the truck? What is your fuel pressure doing and how long does it take to build?

Try unplugging the FASS and try to start the truck. If it starts, stop it quickly.

Fill in your signature as well......that will help me with some things....

Also see attached schematic...we might need to look at doing this.....

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dan, thanks for the reply.
I have the HPFP. I no longer believe that my pump is the problem, the pressure is good and it is turning on like it should. I can get it running on ether(I know its bad) and even that takes some doing. I believe that the problem is electronic. It sounds like the fuel shutoff isn't letting it start. I'm probably in the wrong section to post, but I do appreciate your help.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Dan, thanks for the reply.
I have the HPFP. I no longer believe that my pump is the problem, the pressure is good and it is turning on like it should. I can get it running on ether(I know its bad) and even that takes some doing. I believe that the problem is electronic. It sounds like the fuel shutoff isn't letting it start. I'm probably in the wrong section to post, but I do appreciate your help.
DUDE.....go easy on the happy gas....

At this point....check for codes....Injection pumps can die like you are seeing....hate to say that...but i have seen one or 2 go that way. Bad thing is when they die like this, they normaly dont pop a code. SO....might be trickey to pull the trigger on.....

ALSO...check you Batt's. Make sure they are 12V and have high amps load tested! (One at a time)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts