Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I replaced the kitty with a straight pipe (I already have an MBRP 4" exhaust and muffler on). The idle sounds raspy and farty. I like the sound when you get on it.:peelout But is there a muffler that will have a better sound at idle? A complete straight pipe is not an option.

Thanks Jay

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
Put a 5" or 6" tip on (as long as you can get) but make sure you actually run the exhaust through it (not just put the tip over the pipe)...it will deepen the sound. I know exactly what you're talking about and when I welded up a 6" tip the rasp went away.

·
Banned
393 Posts
I had a 4" Flo-Pro TB on my 07 for a while...sounded like a wet fart!! I even welded on a 6" x 24" Stainless tip. Switched to a Silverline exhaust, sounds mean...like a Cummins again.

·
Banned
393 Posts
REALLY???? that wont screw anything up? What about just getting a three piece from ATS

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Put a 5" or 6" tip on (as long as you can get) but make sure you actually run the exhaust through it (not just put the tip over the pipe)...it will deepen the sound. I know exactly what you're talking about and when I welded up a 6" tip the rasp went away.
I was thinking about something along those lines. If I was able to order the 5" pipe the is bent to go over the axle and just do a 4"-5" expansion joint after the muffler.

Right now I have a 5" dual wall tip, so it's really only 4" on the inside.

Thanks for the tip - no pun intended :thumbsup

·
Registered
108 Posts
i have a staight with a 6" tip...at idle it sounds awsome and when you get on it real hard it sounds like its taking a dump from 1800-2200 rpms

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts
Going to a 3 piece manifold is much more work than initially meets the eye. We have successfully installed several HTT 66/71-16 Turbos on late model 3rd gens and it takes alot of work and parts (money)

The hushpower muffler is an awesome option for those looking to keep a killer sound on the outside and kill the interior noise.....

If you need to go to 5" Over Axle kit we can build the parts list to accomplish this, we have everything on the shelf to. Our over axle pipes are 1 piece.... to some people this is and advantage, to others it's not.... just stating what we stock.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
yeah, it is a lot of work and money...have to custom make or modify the downpipe. i'm not even touching the exhaust until i'm ready to do the center mount exhaust manifold because i don't like the sound of a normal 3rd gen exhaust.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.