Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I was on my yearly church trip for Appalachia Service Project, on the way we stopped in WV to stay the night. Just before we crossed the stateline I pumped what I thought was regular diesel, it was the farm deisel. I didn't fill it all the way knowing I have some W85 in 5 gal to top it of. On our way to Jonesville VA for our final destination my truck smoked and smoked and did not want to accell and climb the hills with my bike trailer hooked up with all the personnal items for the 35 team members. it was embarassing a new Ram was having problem up the hill.

On the way to WV I was on 15 gal of W85 and the rest D2, with the water injection and HOD. I was climbing 75-85 up the hill. What is the difference with the farm deisel from the regular D2 with ultra low sulfur? Of course after I managed to burn 15 gal of it and filled up with regular D2 on the way home, I got the perfomance back.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Nothing, u just got crappy fuel
Ditto, only difference is it is dyed red as a way to tell if it was taxed enough. I would change your fuel filter.

·
Registered
13,651 Posts
As others have said, you may have bigger problems with bad fuel verses dyed fuel....

·
Registered
284 Posts
Considering the restrictions on obtaining farm diesel, I'm curious how you we're able to accidentally put it in your tank? I've never seen it at a self serve pump.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Its available at every station around here.. And yes it was just bad fuel.

·
Southern Idaho VP
1,573 Posts
I could go across the street and put it in my pickup and nobody would say a word..

Sent from my Milestone X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
679 Posts
I was in a bp last week and a women came in driving here husbands truck, and she said i need diesel but the pump says "offroad" was is that? The clerk said ...Well that is a $10,000 fine... i thought it was pretty funny

·
Registered
440 Posts
have you changed your fuel filter at regular intervals? Also would maybe low sulphur diesel make a difference from ultra low? Here in my part of the woods we are still using low sulphur diesel for dyed farm gas

·
Registered
13,651 Posts
have you changed your fuel filter at regular intervals? Also would maybe low sulphur diesel make a difference from ultra low? Here in my part of the woods we are still using low sulphur diesel for dyed farm gas
You sure about that? They haven't been producing LSD since Jan 1st 2010......... except for ships and trains.

·
Registered
852 Posts
As others have said, you may have bigger problems with bad fuel verses dyed fuel....

Red diesel is good, but farmers buy it for extended use and long time storage. At the farm is where the problem with red diesel begins. Anytime you fuel up with farm diesel from...let's say a friends farm, you are taking your chances with dirty fuel. Farm tanks are notorious for having "water" and possible who knows what other crap in the fuel. These newer trucks can't run the dirty fuel without causing injector problems. Injectors problems are much more expensive to fix than the money saved using bad fuel.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Red diesel is good, but farmers buy it for extended use and long time storage. At the farm is where the problem with red diesel begins. Anytime you fuel up with farm diesel from...let's say a friends farm, you are taking your chances with dirty fuel. Farm tanks are notorious for having "water" and possible who knows what other crap in the fuel. These newer trucks can't run the dirty fuel without causing injector problems. Injectors problems are much more expensive to fix than the money saved using bad fuel.
X3737373 we have a brand new 4 wheel.drive tractor with the fuel stored over winter we ended up charging fuel filters 4 times a month till we get new fuel I would assume the tanks at a gas station get used hardly at all and it sits most likely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
440 Posts
I wasn't aware of that. We use that crappy co op bulk fuel so I just figured it was

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hate to high jack your thread but you wasnt far from the house. There's a couple stations around here you got to watch what side of the pump your on. One side is for on road and the other side say offload. Unless they have changed it.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
The only difference in on-road fuel and off-road fuel is the off-road fuel is dyed red. The off-road fuel is not taxed (the tax amount depends on what state you purchase it in).

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Considering the restrictions on obtaining farm diesel, I'm curious how you we're able to accidentally put it in your tank? I've never seen it at a self serve pump.
any station that sells diesel has dyed fuel around here in ND....

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hear yeah, in my area they sell the farm diesel. At the gas station I pulled in only had one pump for diesel, hence I filled up with 15 gal. Since my driving around to and from my work site was only 6 mile it took all week to burn 15 gal. As I mentioned once I filled up with the ultra low D2 the truck ran fine, one thing I did not do was use any W85 on the way home I wanted to make sure truck ran fine and regular D2 was in the tank.

I changed my filter before the trip, while I was trying to burn as much as I can I didn't not change the filter after I pumped in the 15 gal of ultra low D2 I changed the filter. One thing I want to thank everyone for posting part numbers of the filter from the other thread I started, it was easy crossing it over to Carquest number and much cheaper like half the price. Maybe it was the area I was in (Jonesville VA).

·
Registered
490 Posts
I was just up in new Hampshire over the weekend. I pulled into a local gas station and they had an offroad 500ppm LSD diesel pump right next to ulsd diesel pump. It would be very easy to confuse the two

·
Registered
13,651 Posts
I was just up in new Hampshire over the weekend. I pulled into a local gas station and they had an offroad 500ppm LSD diesel pump right next to ulsd diesel pump. It would be very easy to confuse the two
It may have said LSD on the pump but it was ULSD in the tank.....

Reactions: 7492
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.