Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked through a number of fan related posts but don't see a definite answer. With the AC off, what temperature should the fan engage? I'm just starting a 6,000 mile trip and I am pulling a total of about 17,500 pounds. I was pulling a steep grade and hit 217° as I was cresting the hill and no fan. I seem to remember it came on at 215° but I'm not 100% sure. No codes and it runs great. TIA

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Everything I've read says 217°. If you start getting into the 220s and it's not coming on, then I'd start looking into why.

Reactions: Broncowilly

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much. I'll keep a close watch on it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I’ve only heard my fan twice. Both times pulling a 44’ fully loaded gooseneck in July. It came on momentarily at 225. Which I have confirmed as ok from guys on here. I do have fan related issues but they’re AC head pressure related, never ever coolant temp & she works harder than most. For emissions Dodge ran a fine line between hot & too hot. If your truck doesn’t cool down immediately once you can actually hear the fan that might be an indicator you have a problem. But 217 isn’t bad. Replace the thermostat with a 185-190 if you’re that concerned. It should broaden the range between normal temp & high temps. Before you leave, if you haven’t already, spend a few hours & completely clean the fins of all your coolers with degreaser & a hose. If this hadn’t been done ever you’ll be surprised how much crap comes out. Once you think it’s all clean repeat the process

·
SuperModerator
9,985 Posts
I've looked through a number of fan related posts but don't see a definite answer. With the AC off, what temperature should the fan engage? I'm just starting a 6,000 mile trip and I am pulling a total of about 17,500 pounds. I was pulling a steep grade and hit 217° as I was cresting the hill and no fan. I seem to remember it came on at 215° but I'm not 100% sure. No codes and it runs great. TIA
Nothing wrong with those temps.
217-220ºf is what I recall reading the most times for high fan engagement.
Won't hurt anything at 220ºf, 230ºf is considered overheating.
The closer you are to 200-205ºf the better your MPG will be.
Also, IAT at 25º above ambient will help with MPG.

Here's hoping you have a safe and fun trip.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Do a coolant flush and put in a genuine cummins or mopar 190 t-stat and inspect the fan clutch.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:

Do a coolant flush and put in a genuine cummins or mopar 190 t-stat and inspect the fan clutch.
That has been done. I'm running a 190° thermostat. 600 miles down of the 2021 grandkid tour. 11 to see and a grip of states to hit!

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
5,707 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
What winch bumper is that? And were you able to fit a 12K winch in there, or have to move control box? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is a Rampage made right here in Klamath Falls, OR. I did have to move the control box off to the side.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts