Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have noticed my engine fan engaging (roaring) much more frequently. I know it is warmer, but not excessively hot here.
The fan will roar with coolant temps around 185-190*. This seems low.

My 2011 did the exact same thing (fan actually ran more) and it ended up being a bad fan clutch.

Wondering if I am experiencing that again??

·
Registered
942 Posts
My 2018 fan cycles on and off. You'll hear the roar and then it will go away. This is happening with the A/C running, and I believe the purpose is to cool the condenser.

These fans are electronically controlled; I'd assume you'd have a fan clutch code if you had an actual problem.

Didn't you have a Ford recently? Since I've also had a bunch, I will note the Ford 6.7L engine fan is much quieter.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys, just seems like it is running quite a bit more lately. I know temps are higher, but it seems excessive.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
My new fan clutch is running all the time in town now. Of course it's been 90 degrees and above everyday and my AC is running continuously, so it's to be expected. As others have mentioned, the fan clutch is ECM controlled. Engagement is triggered by AC building pressure/heat, transmission fluid temp and coolant temp. Now might be a good time to make sure your AC condenser is clean and the fins are not smashed down. It's also a good idea to periodically check and clean all the coolers behind the condenser.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts