Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Factory Remote key & autostart

2185 20
Has anybody replaced the factory Remote door unlock & auto-start with a BETTER two way remote yet? Since day #1 i have had a total of 6 separate visits to re-flash both my keys and remote batteries every 6 months or so to make sure they are fresh. If i am within 50 feet of my truck it will not open the doors for me unless i put in say 5 full minutes of "Lock/unlock" selections until finally the doors pop. if I walk away from the truck say 150 feet then bang the doors unlock right away. Stealership says this is normal for Dodge a i am now thinking about looking for something like a Viper or code alarm that works all the time up close

Anybody with success stories?
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Also wondering

·
Registered
320 Posts
I hate my factory key fobs.... Always remote starting it and rolling the two front windows down when it's raining......:banghead: I'm learning not to leave my keys in my pocket...:doh: I was thinking of making some kind of cover for it. One seems to work fine and the other one sucks..:confused013: and I've changed the battery a few times in it..

·
Registered
50 Posts
I hate the design of the fobs. Give me a damn key! Also, the range on the remote start is atrocious, it might be 150 ft TOPS.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Man how did people get by when there was no such thing as remote anything... I mean getting up to change the channel?

Seriously. Is it THAT big of a deal? If I can park my truck at the end of my driveway in the street and have my key reach through a couple bedroom walls and lock my truck at night. That to me is a damn good remote. I don't need to lock and unlock my doors from further away than I can see.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NMT, that's the problem you never know if the truck actually locks (usually not).

I have my rig booked to have the factory autostart disabled next Monday after that i am going to install a OLED 2 way Autostart. Apparently that's the only thing that has to be removed for almost any after market solution to be installed. I had one of these on a 4X4 about 10 years ago and it was fantastic back then, I could start my truck from the 35th floor of a high rise in the middle of winter and its two way so i don't even need to see the truck to know if its locked/unlocked/running or if the alarm is going off cause it sends the signal to the FOB!

·
Registered
649 Posts
I hate my factory key fobs.... Always remote starting it and rolling the two front windows down when it's raining......:banghead: I'm learning not to leave my keys in my pocket...:doh: I was thinking of making some kind of cover for it. One seems to work fine and the other one sucks..:confused013: and I've changed the battery a few times in it..
rolling the windows down?? I would love this feature. sometimes my remote in my pocket will lock-unlock the truck witch i agree suck$ but am I missing a feature I would like to have the ability to have the windows go down when remote starting the truck.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
rolling the windows down?? I would love this feature. sometimes my remote in my pocket will lock-unlock the truck witch i agree suck$ but am I missing a feature I would like to have the ability to have the windows go down when remote starting the truck.
I think you just hold the unlock button or press it twice and hold something along those lines.

·
TPMS adjustment guy
1,500 Posts
Correct. Press unlock twice, then hold. If you let go at any point before it's all the way down, it will stop at that point.

From my Galaxy S3 w/JellyBeans rom

·
Registered
783 Posts
Pretty funny. I have never heard this so.....I had to go outside and try. Yup, it works.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Doesn't work on mine either.

·
Registered
198 Posts
my fob works when it wants to. I can be standing right next to my truck and frequently I'll have to press unlock/lock 3 or 4 times for anything to happen. I've also left my truck locked overnight, to come out in the morning and find it unlocked. Doesn't make me very happy.

·
Registered
907 Posts
my fob works when it wants to. I can be standing right next to my truck and frequently I'll have to press unlock/lock 3 or 4 times for anything to happen. I've also left my truck locked overnight, to come out in the morning and find it unlocked. Doesn't make me very happy.

battery going dead in remote ? can it be replaced?

·
Registered
36 Posts

How does the remote roll the windows down???

Sent from Madgmp

·
Registered
74 Posts
through the powers of magic :stirpot:

·
Registered
56 Posts
We have two vehicles with Autopage starters on them. One on a manual transmission one on an automatic and they have a range of something ridiculous of 2 miles I believe. Got it for my wife about 5 years ago when she was in college because the parking lots were so far from the school and the winters were not pretty.

Hers takes a AAA battery and the one I have is rechargeable. The one I have can save a bunch of cars and tells you the temp and beeps in your pocket if the alarm goes off. So a bunch of options and worth looking in to if you are looking for a remote start/lock etc.

Only down side is that the fob is sort of big but compared to the dodge one not really any size difference.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.