Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a 97 dodge and the radio has a short in it or something, the volume will go up but is really hard to get the volume back down. the sound gets louder no matter which way you turn the knob. can this be fixed i dont wanna replace the radio unless its the same one. mine has the 5 equilizer levers. does anyone know how to fix this or where i can find a replacement. i searched ebay but couldn't find it.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have the same problem and would love to find a fix.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I had same problem with mine and went to salvage yard and pulled one from wrecked truck
and it worked fine. now it is doing same thing. apparently this is a common problem with
these radios. Chrysler knew this and some people got replacements back in the day.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i need a replacement ive been adjusting the volume by raising and lowering the equilizers

·
Registered
37 Posts
unless you are good at repairing radios and can find a replacement rheostat your better off just ditching the radio and getting a new one....

·
Registered
463 Posts
I am about to pull mine out for an aftermarket...I also have the alpine cd changer and cable needed to hook it up for the factory unit to control it. I will sell it for a fair price to who ever wants it.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
unless you are good at repairing radios and can find a replacement rheostat your better off just ditching the radio and getting a new one....
would any rheostate work? cause i could find one laying around at school. could i pull one off of another radio? my sister has a bad radio out of a 2001 chrysler pt cruiser, could i pull the rheostat out of it and transplant it into mine?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I doubt if any rheostat would work. Would most likely have to have the exact same one. It has the built in on/off function tied into it also. There may be other cars wlth the same stle though. I just don't know. Before I ditched my radio I took it apart to see if I could just clean the wiper arm on the rheo. No luck on that....

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my radio has a power button. i might try a transplant from my sisters radio ill see if its the same style. if i screw it up ive really not lost anything it needs replaced anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is a very common problem in Chrysler/Dodge vehicles. It is the volume knob control. I used to do car stereos for a living and would run into this all the time. It is the volume control knob that goes bad. We used to take all of ours down to a stereo/ speedometer repair shop here in phoenix and was usually like $15 to replace. You may be able to replace it with something that you have laing around, but the fit probably wont be right and may still not work correctly.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ive got a buddy who is supposed to give me his radio, he removed his to put a dvd system in. i hope it works, i kinda like the look of the radios. the aftermarket ones look out of place

·
Registered
5 Posts
Depending on the year it came out of; it should work. The only differences are the harness plugs. If it does have a different harness you can always get a "repair" harness. These are replacement male ends that plug right into the factory stereo. A few different companies make them as replacements due to wiring getting thrashed during stereo thefts.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i think ive got one of those "repair" harness's, but i think his is a 96, and mines a 97.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i had this problem on my 97 chrysler concord. i would diconect the power, remove the knob and use a can of electical contact cleaner with the tube on it and spray into the controle. turn it back and forth a few times and give it time to dry before turning on the power. the problem alwas came back after a while but i just do it again an it worked. worth a try.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ill try that when i get the truck back, it's having the transmission rebuilt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts