Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
SuperModerator
10,587 Posts
Thought we were talking about the engine, not trans or diffs.

So there.
The engines are put under load and broken in at the Cummins factory before they even get shipped to mexico

Reactions: Duelly Dad

·
Registered
21,716 Posts
If it was not safe the factory would not recommend it. Truckers go 30k.

Reactions: Bigtolya

·
Registered
21,005 Posts
Define reusable LoL.

I think I remember reading that they were reusable now that you mention it.
Can't say for sure, but I believe that @gsbrockman was still using the original gasket on his 3500 after some 400,000 miles, however many diff fluid changes that involved.

I do know that mine's still fine after five changes.

·
White Lightning
14,228 Posts
Can't say for sure, but I believe that @gsbrockman was still using the original gasket on his 3500 after some 400,000 miles, however many diff fluid changes that involved.

I do know that mine's still fine after five changes.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi all,

I'm picking up my 2022 2500 Cummins in the next few days. Am I safe to drive the full 15,000 miles on the factory oil, or should I do an oil change before that? I'm going to drive the truck several thousand miles in the first 2 weeks of ownership.

Thanks.
Either is OK but check the owners manual for oil recommendation specs and the temperatures in your area-my 2019 2500 with Cummins specs 5W-40 in temps down below 0 F to avoid engine damage but the dealers were still using 15W-40........

·
Registered
60 Posts
I changed my at 6080 miles. A piece of gasket material 1/2" wide and 2" long came out! Drain the oil, dumped the filter in the pan and found it the filter after it drained. I don't think it came out of the filter it seems a little big. I think it was just sitting on the bottom of the oil pan not circulating in the engine. Haven't had any problems no leaking.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts