Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm picking up my 2022 2500 Cummins in the next few days. Am I safe to drive the full 15,000 miles on the factory oil, or should I do an oil change before that? I'm going to drive the truck several thousand miles in the first 2 weeks of ownership.

Thanks.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Do whichever lets you sleep at night. My preference (and will never change) is to change it early the first time. Same with the diffs. The rest I’ll leave.
yes, i agree, and i also have trust issues

• Haha
Reactions: Lins

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everybody. Also, I'm going to check the diff oil level, since I've heard they can be low. What oil do I need to put in if they're low?
I've heard 75w-85, but I can't seem to find that with LSD friction modifier added (my truck has LSD).

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Thanks everybody. Also, I'm going to check the diff oil level, since I've heard they can be low. What oil do I need to put in if they're low?
I've heard 75w-85, but I can't seem to find that with LSD friction modifier added (my truck has LSD).
Most contain modifier but you can buy it separate. Any fluid will basically work, I use 75W90 Amsoil severe gear. My 3rg gen 1500 always needed extra modifier to prevent any chatter.

Reactions: DogeTruck

·
Registered
527 Posts
If its just low you dont need friction modifier just top it off
true, i would just buy 1qrt from say the dealer, so u no it’s the exact oil it uses, it may be pricey but it’s just one quart. and just top each diff off.

Reactions: DogeTruck

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
I wish the diff covers had a drain plug, so you don't have to take the cover off & risk gasket leaks. I did that on my '97 the first time I changed, Drilled a hole, brazed in a pipe coupling and used a pipe plug.

·
White Lightning
14,228 Posts
I wish the diff covers had a drain plug, so you don't have to take the cover off & risk gasket leaks.
But....that’s the perfect opportunity to look around inside and make sure all is well.

The reusable gaskets from AAM are nice. That’s one thing I miss with my 4500 ownership.

·
Registered
21,005 Posts
But....that’s the perfect opportunity to look around inside and make sure all is well.
Jeez, Brockman. What you don't know can't possibly hurt you. Or the diff.

Besides, if using a drain plug you get to keep all that yummy stuff at the very bottom. And why wouldn't you? After all, it's parts of your gears and stuff, which you paid for, so you really should keep that sludge.

• Haha
Reactions: tryNto

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Congrats on your purchase , I’m still old school when it comes to this. I’ll changes all the fluid filters, and engine oil at 5K. Gives me that warm an fuzzy, your engine is brand new and the only time it is started is once it’s assembled it roles to the factory dyno to check and make sure it runs and meets emissions. And once more at the dealer when they do they back it off the delivery truck, pre-check list and park it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Congrats on your purchase , I’m still old school when it comes to this. I’ll changes all the fluid filters, and engine oil at 5K. Gives me that warm an fuzzy, your engine is brand new and the only time it is started is once it’s assembled it roles to the factory dyno to check and make sure it runs and meets emissions. And once more at the dealer when they do they back it off the delivery truck, pre-check list and park it.
The engine comes broken in and changing at 5k is the stupidest thing to be doing but your truck i guess

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Now I can only assume its the same for these new 2019+ engines but Cummins stated that they break in all engines before being shipped off.

I used to change all oils early but decided to forego this on my 3500 after speaking with cummins. Regardless I think its wise to always monitor oil levels, not only the engine but the full drivetrain, make sure the damn factory actually filled to proper level.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Yes it is my truck, DogeTruck asked a question and people answer. If someone has issues with someone’s answer one would think they would have the forethought on how to use grown up vocabulary instead of a Kindergarten response.

I have not seen any info on a pre-broke in 6.7, I guess in 2019 this started because of the new 6.7 platform ?

I do know they say to put 500 mile on the truck to break in the drivetrain and then your good to go on heavy loads.

Anyways thanks for the info

·
SuperModerator
10,587 Posts
I do know they say to put 500 mile on the truck to break in the drivetrain and then your good to go on heavy loads.
Pretty sure that is the old days, was that in the 70s for sure, would need to see current printed info to be on board with it now.

Reactions: Duelly Dad

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Pretty sure that is the old days, was that in the 70s for sure, would need to see current printed info to be on board with it now.
In the manual for the diff specifically. Couple requirements actually, not just 500 miles.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts