Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the factory finned aluminum cover fit the rear diff on a 2018 Ram 2500?

·
On call 24/7
12,371 Posts
I put one on my 2012 2500 so unless thy have changed the axle, it should fit.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Yes it will fit. You will have to put a spacer on the Sway bar mounts. Some have ground the lower finn's for clearance also. Dodge Offroad sells Spacers that are 1.75" that some have used. Others used 1/2" shims.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it will fit. You will have to put a spacer on the Sway bar mounts. Some have ground the lower finn's for clearance also. Dodge Offroad sells Spacers that are 1.75" that some have used. Others used 1/2" shims.
That is what I needed was not sure if the sway bar would clear.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just ordered one, found them in stock for $185.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have the finned cover on my 3500 max tow and that cover really cool's great. I've had an aftermarket mag cover that doubled the capacity but it didn't cool worth a darn and the extra capacity didn't do any good except allow longer change intervals. I thought the aam cover was more like $130 but it still well worth 185 for the cooling it does. The aam. cover also has grooves cast on the inside to direct oil out to the carrier bearings. My truck has 120,000 miles and it has always been used for towing by the previous owner and myself and the bearings are in the best shape that I've seen in any of my trucks... I check my diff with a dial indicator every blue change. Craig

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
2500 = 11.5
3500 with aisin = 11.8
2019 3500 = 12 inch

Not sure if the covers interchange.

Not sure on the 3500 if it's just Aisin or Aisin DRW combination.

·
Buyer of stuff..with OPM
2,360 Posts
I have the finned cover on my 3500 max tow and that cover really cool's great. I've had an aftermarket mag cover that doubled the capacity but it didn't cool worth a darn and the extra capacity didn't do any good except allow longer change intervals. I thought the aam cover was more like $130 but it still well worth 185 for the cooling it does. The aam. cover also has grooves cast on the inside to direct oil out to the carrier bearings. My truck has 120,000 miles and it has always been used for towing by the previous owner and myself and the bearings are in the best shape that I've seen in any of my trucks... I check my diff with a dial indicator every blue change. Craig
About 4 or 5 years ago, you could find them online for less than $100 easily......then one day they just doubled....

FCA at it's best....:spank:

Sam

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2500 = 11.5
3500 with aisin = 11.8
2019 3500 = 12 inch

Not sure if the covers interchange.

Not sure on the 3500 if it's just Aisin or Aisin DRW combination.
pretty sure the 11.5 and 11.8 are the same housing just different internals

·
Registered
282 Posts
pretty sure the 11.5 and 11.8 are the same housing just different internals
I believe that is correct. The sizes noted are the diameter of the ring gear; the size and bolt pattern of the cover are the same. :nerd:

Regarding pricing, if I recall correctly when I bought one for my 2015 2500 it was $98 plus shipping and no tax. :stirpot:

I cannot comment on the alleged added cooling efficiency of the finned aluminum cover but I sure think it looks cool. :blues:

·
Registered
14,783 Posts
How did you come to this conclusion? A gauge for monitoring in the cab, an occasional laser temp reading, your hand, or the good ol' butt detector...

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Definitely was cheaper but they typically list for over $200 now if.you can even find them in stock.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Any pix? Like to add one to my 2010 dually.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
if you get the Aisin tranny option you get the HO Cummins and the finned diff cover at least when I bought my dually in 2015.
As far as price, yep FCA doubled it for the finned cover if you just wanted to add 1 to your truck.

·
Registered
12,122 Posts
Are we sure that it wasn't AAM that increased the price?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts