Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Factory Exhaust brake

1797 Views 13 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  bdavis466
I have a 2010 on order and the one that I test drove seemed like the exhaust brake was a joke. Is this true? How does everyone like theirs?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
116 Posts
I like mine. The automatic transmission is a little different than the manual. On the auto with out tow haul on the e-brake shuts off at around 45 mph. With the tow haul on the e-brake works quite well. It helps your truck warm up in the morning also.

· Registered
742 Posts
Definitely an advantage when you are towing. Really helps bring a load to a stop. Works best in tow/haul mode like stated above. Congrats on the new ride.!

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of the info. I do tow a lot and I have a 4 car stacker that weighs about 14K-16K. Most of the time its behind my toter and the Jake Brake on that works very good and has 3 different levels and when I tried the one at the dealer it was nothing compared to my Jake, but it was not in tow haul mode and it was at a low MPH.

· Registered
538 Posts
Mine works excellent, my only complaint is the location of it. With the 6 spd. it really brakes hard while gearing down. When towing it is a must have!!!

I have previously used the Pac Brake aftermarket exhaust Brake which I love. It is on the shifter and much more practical but I am not really griping it was standard on this truck so saved me $2k or so on purchase and install of the aftermarket one.

And no it won't mess up anything on your engine. Mine also had the onboard compressor which was great!

· Registered
897 Posts
I love mine! I have the 6spd manual and unless the driver in front of me slams on his brakes I don't have to touch my brakes until I'm under 25mph, usually!

· Registered
164 Posts
If you rode in a demo truck for your test ride, it was probably driven slowly around town and had a lot of idle time on it so the turbo is all sooted up and is very detrimental to the performance of the EB.
When you get yours, use it all the time, get the high idle enabled, and drive it like ya stole it and your EB will be just fine.

· Registered
207 Posts
The exhaust brake rarely downshifts on its own if you are not in T/H. The best way to maximize the performance is to use the manual gear selector (on automatics) and downshift to get the best braking performance. This exhaust brake could be a lot better with some different programing which has been my complaint since I bought the truck. Either way it won't touch your jake brake in comparison at low speeds or any speed for that matter...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.