Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you piloting a Cummins powered 19 Ram may or may not have wondered what the factory engine oil fill is - I did. You may also have noted that the owner’s manual is specifying a 10W-30 (meeting appropriate specs) as a recommended engine lubricant. While a 10W-30 oil grade is not unusual in the diesel world, it is a departure for FCA to be recommending it for the Cummins equipped Rams. I spent a fair bit of time trying to dig up some background on the switch and every FCA individual (dealer and FCA CS) I spoke with re the issue were ignorant of the fact that FCA had made the switch. Most insisted it was either 15W-40 or 5W-40. This much I know (or think I know): Factory fill is assuredly a Shell product and probably Rotella T4 or T5 (I suspect T5). Please chime in if you think or know otherwise.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Those of you piloting a Cummins powered 19 Ram may or may not have wondered what the factory engine oil fill is - I did. You may also have noted that the owner’s manual is specifying a 10W-30 (meeting appropriate specs) as a recommended engine lubricant. While a 10W-30 oil grade is not unusual in the diesel world, it is a departure for FCA to be recommending it for the Cummins equipped Rams. I spent a fair bit of time trying to dig up some background on the switch and every FCA individual (dealer and FCA CS) I spoke with re the issue were ignorant of the fact that FCA had made the switch. Most insisted it was either 15W-40 or 5W-40. This much I know (or think I know): Factory fill is assuredly a Shell product and probably Rotella T4 or T5 (I suspect T5). Please chime in if you think or know otherwise.
a 10-30 is very unusual in the diesel world. Never heard of it recommended for any diesel... I think or would hope that's a misprint as very few 10-30s are designed for soot and ash. Thanks for posting this. Many should verify before using a 10-30

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a 10-30 is very unusual in the diesel world. Never heard of it recommended for any diesel... I think or would hope that's a misprint as very few 10-30s are designed for soot and ash. Thanks for posting this. Many should verify before using a 10-30
Caught me off guard too but after a little research discovered that all the major diesel oil producers (Mobil, Shell, Chevron, Valvoline) are making a 10W-30 that is CK-4 certified and meets Cummins specs.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
10w30 is not unusual in the diesel world...in the truck market yes. It is seen in off road vehicles and machinery

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
not as of late, all the newer Detroit engines I see coming through the shop are using 10W30 engine oil for better fuel economy #'s, BUT is is specific diesel engine oil that has longer drain intervals, NOT your average gasoline engine oil

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
I beg to differ, Caterpillar has been 10W30 for more than a decade. We use 15W40 unless told otherwise. In fact, Caterpillar engine oil pressure testing has been using 10W30 for several decades. No specs for 15W40. But we still fill with 15W40 unless other wise told to.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Where are you in South West Pa. ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought the lifetime oil change deal from my dealer, when I took it in for the first oil change I looked the service manager in the eye and said, you know that the new 2019s have a different oil spec than the previous year models right?. He smiled like I was nuts and went about his duty. 1/2 hour later he walks up to me and says " you were right about the oil, we dont have any in the shop so I sent the kid to the auto parts store". They filled with shell t-5 10w-30.I going to guess every 2019 before me got the old 15w-40 stuff.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And another thing: 2019 factory fill... 10W-30. Prior yrs... 15W-40. Roger that!

The diesel supplement to the OM, even going back a number of yrs, is emphatic that neither one of the foregoing factory fills is compatible with temperatures below zero degrees F (-18C). However, a very large swath of North America endures these temperatures for four, sometimes five months of the year. So, in these bone-chilling areas, what does a dealer do when selling one of these diesel powered pickmeups? I'm quite certain that FCA does not suspend truck sales in the winter so I have to wonder if unsuspecting buyers are driving trucks off the lot with a crankcase full of oil that is incompatible with their di_k-shrivelling temperatures. Are the dealers even aware of this dilemma? I think I know the answer and I don't like it.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
And another thing: 2019 factory fill... 10W-30. Prior yrs... 15W-40. Roger that!

The diesel supplement to the OM, even going back a number of yrs, is emphatic that neither one of the foregoing factory fills is compatible with temperatures below zero degrees F (-18C). However, a very large swath of North America endures these temperatures for four, sometimes five months of the year. So, in these bone-chilling areas, what does a dealer do when selling one of these diesel powered pickmeups? I'm quite certain that FCA does not suspend truck sales in the winter so I have to wonder if unsuspecting buyers are driving trucks off the lot with a crankcase full of oil that is incompatible with their di_k-shrivelling temperatures. Are the dealers even aware of this dilemma? I think I know the answer and I don't like it.
Dilemma ? :eek:noz: You don't have to use factory fill if you choose otherwise. The ILS in my KW was factory fill 10w30 Deleo . I now use Caterpillar 15W40 and will probably survive.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dilemma ? You don't have to use factory fill if you choose otherwise.
How can ya make an educated choice if ya don't know what the factory fill is? When I asked my dealer, they didn't know. FCA customer care didn't know either. Semantics to some, I suppose.

The dilemma? This: Middle of Jan 2020. Fargo, ND. It's minus 10 F and farmer Brown is at the CJDR dealer looking at a new HD Ram. It'll very likely have the factory oil fill (10W-30) and odds are that the sales person doesn't know that.

The Diesel Supplement to the OM contains this tidbit: "CAUTION! Failure to use SAE 5W-40 synthetic engine oil in ambient temperatures below 0°F (-18°C) could result in severe engine damage."

Again, does the sales person know that? Probably not. Does farmer Brown know that? Odds are good that he/she does cuz they're savvy with equipment needs operating in arctic-like conditions. Oh, wait... Joe Blow just walked into the dealership and he's looked for a HD Ram too. He ain't gonna know that...

·
Registered
888 Posts
There have been major changes to diesel engine oil over the last 6 years. Viscosity is different, ash content is now manufacture specific.
The only people who seem to know this are the owners that are on the hook for non warrantied DPF damage. And a select few technicians that are really dedicated to the craft.
Other than that, Farmer Brown is screwed. And there will be many that will say to Farmer Brown, "I have been using (xxx) oil in my Cummins for decades and never had a problem."

I would tell Farmer Brown, that since the 19's are a different engine with a compact graphite iron block, to use synthetic Shell Rotell T6 with Pure Plus technology. It's made with natural gas, handles every temperature he will experience in Fargo or Texas, and the ash content is below FCA and Cummins requirements, and when on sale, the 3 gallons needed are about $15 each. And it is listed in the owners manual.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
...and when on sale, the 3 gallons needed are about $15 each. And it is listed in the owners manual.
Gawd, I wish! I gal jugs of T6 are few and far between up here. Typically find it in 5 litre jugs and 1 qt bottles. The 5 litre jug will run $45 to $50. The qt containers will go fer $10 to $15. :(

·
Registered
183 Posts
since the 19's are a different engine with a compact graphite iron block, to use synthetic Shell Rotell T6 with Pure Plus technology. It's made with natural gas, handles every temperature he will experience in Fargo or Texas, and the ash content is below FCA and Cummins requirements, and when on sale, the 3 gallons needed are about $15 each. And it is listed in the owners manual.[/QUOTE]
this is 100%

I will add that I was curious and dug for more information as to the characteristics between the 5-40 and 10-30. Im no oil expert but to my surprise they were very similar. But as stated above you cant beat the price of t6.

·
Registered
9 Posts
not to beat a dead horse, but when I bought my 19 in Georgia in Aug the service manager said they only use ROTELLA FULL SYNTHETIC

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
not to beat a dead horse, but when I bought my 19 in Georgia in Aug the service manager said they only use ROTELLA FULL SYNTHETIC
That'd be the T6 stuff. And I wonder if that service manager knew that the factory fill was 10W-30. My dealer didn't and although they stock Rotella T4 (conventional), T5 (semi-syn) and T6 (synthetic), they filled it with T4 10W-30 during a recent change. Not only did they not know what the factory fill was, they were unaware of the requirement to use a 5W-40 synthetic in regions that endure five to six months of frozen h_ll. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts