Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Where's my sparkplugs????
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously my truck came with a factory 4inch exhaust. Is there any point to buying a aftermarket when I can just ditch the muffler and cat or swap them out for something better? Looking at it under my truck it's a pretty big looking exhuast and it doesn't look to restrictive (the pipe that is). Opnions?

·
Registered
761 Posts
I don't see how much a difference an aftermarket would make vs stock other than the bling factor. I agree the stock doesn't look that restrictive.

·
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't see how much a difference an aftermarket would make vs stock other than the bling factor. I agree the stock doesn't look that restrictive.
Eh, with a nice tip you can barely even tell. I just see this as a way of saving me money but in the same sense I want to make sure that the factory exhaust can handle programmers, etc..

·
Registered
258 Posts
Taking out the stock muff and cat You will get about a 200 drop in EGT.So yeah the stock pipe is fine but change the the muff and ditch the kitty.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
did the 04.5's come factory with
3.5" or 4" pipe ?
Never heard of 3.5 on a CTD, us VP-44 guys got 3" and as far as I know with the new body style in '02 came the 4".

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,561 Posts
Never heard of 3.5 on a CTD, us VP-44 guys got 3" and as far as I know with the new body style in '02 came the 4".
okay, ill assume its 4" pipe.
want to ensure i tell the muff shop to order the correct size for straight pipe install.

they were asking me. i THOUGHT it was 4", but wasnt sure.

local shop quoted me $60 to cut the muff off and weld in the straight pipe, so i'm getting that done asap !

·
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
okay, ill assume its 4" pipe.
want to ensure i tell the muff shop to order the correct size for straight pipe install.

they were asking me. i THOUGHT it was 4", but wasnt sure.

local shop quoted me $60 to cut the muff off and weld in the straight pipe, so i'm getting that done asap !
That's exactly what I paid. I got my new tip in the mail today so now I'm going to have to go back and have it welded on and ditch the cat. :(

·
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Taking out the stock muff and cat You will get about a 200 drop in EGT.So yeah the stock pipe is fine but change the the muff and ditch the kitty.
Sounds good! Anything to save me money makes me happy. Thanks... :)

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,561 Posts
does the cat on the cummins not have an o2 sensor on it ?
fairly new to any diesel NOT attached to a tractor, so wasnt sure.
always assumed that if you took the cat off that you would get a code.

·
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
does the cat on the cummins not have an o2 sensor on it ?
fairly new to any diesel NOT attached to a tractor, so wasnt sure.
always assumed that if you took the cat off that you would get a code.
I looked at mine and I don't see one.. I think maybe only on the 6.7's, I could be wrong.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,561 Posts
I looked at mine and I don't see one.. I think maybe only on the 6.7's, I could be wrong.

well, i may have to pay a little extra to have some additional pipe cut off !

would hate to cut the cat and then have codes flyin ! anyone else cut the cat off of a 3rd gen with issues / no issues ?

·
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, i may have to pay a little extra to have some additional pipe cut off !

would hate to cut the cat and then have codes flyin ! anyone else cut the cat off of a 3rd gen with issues / no issues ?
Maybe one of these guys will jump in and answer that for us. I know if anything I've seen a lot of aftermarket high flow cats and may put one on myself..

·
Registered
529 Posts
The 5.9 Cummins are sensor free. You can straight pipe them without a problem.

·
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
And yes, elephant, your '04.5 has 4" turbo back. It's the '03-04's that have a 3" downpipe to 4"... Like stated, you can cat delete if you want, as well.

*BLING* factor is why I'll be upping to 5" this summer...I don't expect any performance difference, just want the look. Stock is otherwise just fine....

·
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And yes, elephant, your '04.5 has 4" turbo back. It's the '03-04's that have a 3" downpipe to 4"... Like stated, you can cat delete if you want, as well.

*BLING* factor is why I'll be upping to 5" this summer...I don't expect any performance difference, just want the look. Stock is otherwise just fine....
I kinda thought for the most part it was the *BLING* factor. Until I get more money I'm gonna have to stay with the ugly ole factory but one day I wanna put on a nice crhome 5inch exhaust.. :hyper:

·
Registered
258 Posts
No worries about codes bros ditch the kitty it will be fine. And sublmnl your welcome Im all about savin thet money to.

·
Registered
182 Posts
What ever you guys do, don't buy the 4" magnaflow muffler that 36" long. that thing is too loud in the cab. I just got my PPE in and I have an EDGE EZ for sale if anyone is interested.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts