Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a website called airflo.com that sells raw steel tubing 6" for around 16 bucks a foot which is quite a bit cheaper than buying actual stacks from a diesel website or elsewhere. I plan on getting two 3 ft sections and angle cutting them with a bandsaw at my shop then powdercoating them flat black. But im just curious if anyone else out there have fabbed up their own exhaust stack systems. I already have 5" exhaust from turbo back but wondering about how i could go about this myself instead of spending 6-900 bucks for a complete kit. I would like to have 7" duals but idk if i can bring myself to spend 250 bucks just for someone to sell me 7" steel tubing thats already powdercoated.
Any help/opinions appreciated
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Collecting the material right now to make mine. I've been in contact with turbotwhistler about building mine similar to his.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I bought 7foot of 6" exaust tubing from Napa for 50 bucks. keep lookin I bet you will find a better deal; and the black heat resistent paint works real well too (bbq grill paint, or exaust paint).

·
Registered
345 Posts
i went to a oil field supply place and made my 5 inch stack and painted it with high heat black and fabbed up a plate to go over the disgusting hole in my bed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about making the setup for the dual stacks with the fittings and such. I know where to find a y-pipe and the required elbows but what about securing all the exhaust tubing and what about using flexible exhaust tubing for in between fittings. Just a thought

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so i have been trolling some more in the showtime section and found a thread on stackboxes that i had some questions about but the thread was over a year out of date... Im thinking this would be a way easier option for me, not to mention cheaper, but im just wondering what the difference in sound was between stacks that run tubing vs. stacks with the homemade stackboxes. Any input?

·
President of the 509
7,266 Posts
I personally have only heard a 7.3 ford with a stack box, no cummins... however, it was the best sounding powerstroke I have ever heard. The stack box looks way cleaner than a y-pipe in the bed, IMO

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I cut the 6" stacks down last week & just got the call saying they were done from being powder coated.:party018: I'll be working on them this evening & will post pics probably tomorrow. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
893 Posts
im looking to make my own so im subscribing

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
What is a stack box? I've seen diamond plate box like things in all sorts of trucks with stacks. I thought it was just a cover to make for a clean look?

·
Registered
220 Posts
First time I ever really looked at stacks, and I like the stack box. A lot more than y pipes in the bed. Good lookin stuff. I like the dual stacks on the dmax too.

·
Registered
503 Posts
looks good man. i did the stack box in my 98 24 valve...the only thing i would reccomment dor you would to cut some angles at the end of the box. i did mine at a 45* angle but i didnt have my outlets at the very end. ill see if i can find a picture of it somewhere.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts