Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TLDR: Will I like a Ram 3500 Dually more than my current 2009 F350 6.4 Dually and will it be more reliable?

I've owned both a 2004 6.0 F350 and currently a 2009 6.4 F350. The truck bodies/running gear are awesome and I love them from a comfort/quality standpoint. The engines however, I've grown tired of major failures and huge expenses. 6.0 had obvious issues, 6.4 has eaten 2 HP Fuel Pumps and I just can't rely on a Ford any longer to tow my 38' 16,000# 5th wheel and not strand my family again, let alone risk their lives when these pumps fail.

Never owned a Ram/Dodge previously, I really don't know what to expect other than seeing a friends new 2020 and being completely impressed by the interior (Limited Mega SRW). Having learned that Ram has now gone back to the CP3 pump on the 2021's has made this decision to go Ram even more likely. I'm still considering (10% at this point) a F350, but the idea of buying a $80K truck and having to add a "Disaster Prevention Kit", just rubs me the wrong way, and after seeing the S&S video explaining the design differences between the CP4 and CP3 pumps, it seems like a Cummins with the CP3 is the obvious choice and significantly better design.

My 2009 F350 is a Lariat Crew Cab, 8', Sync Nav System, Dually, 3.73 Axle with aftermarket Rear Air Bags, built in compressor, 90 gallon aux tank and a Fisher V-Plow. It was my daily driver, but it's replacement will pretty much be used for 5th Wheel Hauling (5 - 8 times / yr), 20' Tag Hauling for my SxS, plowing my driveway and business small parking lots, trips to the dump and weekend softball tournaments with my daughter's team, so probably 50% of my driving will be shared evenly between this Dually and a 2021 Suburban I just got.

Probably don't need the Aux tank any longer or I might utilize smaller one on the new rig. Other than that, the old rig is outfitted perfectly for me.

My questions for guys with Ram experience are:
  1. Anyone here gone from a F350 to Ram 35000? What's your experience been, will I miss anything?
  2. HO/Aisin/4.11 appears to be the way to go, should I seek that package?
  3. What are the "Must Have Options" and which should I stay away from? 50 Gal tank seems to be a no brainer, Air Levelling System sounds nice, but I've read some opinions that after market was a better choice?
  4. How are the Phone/Nav, Systems, how is their quality are they reliable is the user interface user friendly? Or should I just save some money and potential electronics issues and use Waze from my phone?
  5. Inventory appears to be thin, how long between order and delivery, currently?
  6. What's considered a good deal on a Ram 3500 DRW? Invoice?? How do I determine "Invoice"? When I purchased my 2009 F350, I asked around the FTE Forum and a Ford Dealer Employee found my truck using the VIN, sent me ALL the info on the truck when I was negotiating and told me where I wanted to be on it, if I remember it was Invoice minus some incentives and hold-back money?
I know I have a lot of questions for my 1st Post, but I certainly appreciate everyone's experience and insight in advance.

TIA

·
Registered
3 Posts
TLDR: Will I like a Ram 3500 Dually more than my current 2009 F350 6.4 Dually and will it be more reliable?

I've owned both a 2004 6.0 F350 and currently a 2009 6.4 F350. The truck bodies/running gear are awesome and I love them from a comfort/quality standpoint. The engines however, I've grown tired of major failures and huge expenses. 6.0 had obvious issues, 6.4 has eaten 2 HP Fuel Pumps and I just can't rely on a Ford any longer to tow my 38' 16,000# 5th wheel and not strand my family again, let alone risk their lives when these pumps fail.

Never owned a Ram/Dodge previously, I really don't know what to expect other than seeing a friends new 2020 and being completely impressed by the interior (Limited Mega SRW). Having learned that Ram has now gone back to the CP3 pump on the 2021's has made this decision to go Ram even more likely. I'm still considering (10% at this point) a F350, but the idea of buying a $80K truck and having to add a "Disaster Prevention Kit", just rubs me the wrong way, and after seeing the S&S video explaining the design differences between the CP4 and CP3 pumps, it seems like a Cummins with the CP3 is the obvious choice and significantly better design.

My 2009 F350 is a Lariat Crew Cab, 8', Sync Nav System, Dually, 3.73 Axle with aftermarket Rear Air Bags, built in compressor, 90 gallon aux tank and a Fisher V-Plow. It was my daily driver, but it's replacement will pretty much be used for 5th Wheel Hauling (5 - 8 times / yr), 20' Tag Hauling for my SxS, plowing my driveway and business small parking lots, trips to the dump and weekend softball tournaments with my daughter's team, so probably 50% of my driving will be shared evenly between this Dually and a 2021 Suburban I just got.

Probably don't need the Aux tank any longer or I might utilize smaller one on the new rig. Other than that, the old rig is outfitted perfectly for me.

My questions for guys with Ram experience are:
  1. Anyone here gone from a F350 to Ram 35000? What's your experience been, will I miss anything?
  2. HO/Aisin/4.11 appears to be the way to go, should I seek that package?
  3. What are the "Must Have Options" and which should I stay away from? 50 Gal tank seems to be a no brainer, Air Levelling System sounds nice, but I've read some opinions that after market was a better choice?
  4. How are the Phone/Nav, Systems, how is their quality are they reliable is the user interface user friendly? Or should I just save some money and potential electronics issues and use Waze from my phone?
  5. Inventory appears to be thin, how long between order and delivery, currently?
  6. What's considered a good deal on a Ram 3500 DRW? Invoice?? How do I determine "Invoice"? When I purchased my 2009 F350, I asked around the FTE Forum and a Ford Dealer Employee found my truck using the VIN, sent me ALL the info on the truck when I was negotiating and told me where I wanted to be on it, if I remember it was Invoice minus some incentives and hold-back money?
I know I have a lot of questions for my 1st Post, but I certainly appreciate everyone's experience and insight in advance.

TIA
Here,s my story Had a 2000 F350 Dually 7.3 500k miss the 7.3, went to 06 F350 lots of power all the normal Ford 6.0 failures leased ,went back to 04 Lariat sucker for punishment, traded for 2016 GMC SLT LB 6.0 Rats in the wiring harness dealer gave me another truck had for 6mths traded for 2016 GMC SLT duramax had for a year many trips to dealer lots of electrical glitches sold bought a 2001 F350 7.3 SB hated to see it go needed a long box traded for 2000 Dodge dually 5.9 what a beast 500k will pull anything I put behind it .have had for 3 years had to put a bullit proof tranny to many engine mods keeping this one forever, Waiting for 2021 Ram 3500 Bighorn CC LB HO all options but sunroof and factory air ride ,not a fan of leather. putting in level kit 295/65/20s Airlift 5000lb bags and wireless compressor have had this set up in all my trucks and works great. I wanted another truck so I bought brand new 2021 CP3 and the Cummins motor ,It doesn,t matter what you buy they all have their own problems I,m sure it may have problems but it has a decent warranty, they don,t make them like they use too, On a side note GM makes a nice Hotrod and Cadillac but the ride is to soft and Ford can,t make up their mind on what disaster of an engine they want to use. So instead of paying 60k on a 2017 with 150k and no warranty 2021 RAM ordered FEB 22 2021 FCA is having parts trouble but if i get it before summer I will be a happy camper

·
Sasquatch
3,790 Posts
HO is definitely a must. It's not about the power, it's about getting the Aisin transmission. The factory air ride is a nice feature, it works pretty well, but you won't be upset if you saved money and went with leafs, then add bags if you need it. The interface on the newer Uconnect is phenomenal, both the 8.4 and 12" is nice. It's still too early to tell for the 12" reliability.

My buddy and father have 5th gens, and from seeing how their trucks are, I'd speck out either a Tradesman or just about all out on a limited. A Tradesman with upgraded soft touch materials on the door panels makes for a very convinient work truck, Limited is great for just a nice overall experience.

In terms of advantages and disadvantages from the Fords. You'll like the peak power of the Ford and the way the transmission behaves more. While the Aisin is clunky at times, it's reliable. You can be towing heavy with it and you'll never see the temp over 170. The emission equipment on the Ram is more reliable(this is important since the delete days are gone), Cummins has their emission strategy down very well. As a result of how effective the Cummins SCR system is, it barely uses EGR at all, which is better for the engine itself. If something does go wrong, everything is a lot more accessible to service.

Forgot to mention, one option I really recommend is adaptive cruise. It actually works surprisingly well when towing. Say if you get caught behind a semi on a grade that's on the struggle bus, the adaptive cruise will match the semi. Once you get a clear space to pass, the engine goes hammer down after you change lanes and brings you back to your speed.

Reactions: RankRam

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had a several full size half tons, then in about 94 bought a ram cummins auto and hated it- slow slow slow, then went back to a gasser 5.2L? for a couple years then couple ram 2500 8.0L v10's with manual trans that I liked plenty- and even the 13-14mpg typical while running empty was not horrid, then went to a 2002 F350 SRW long bed, crew cab lariat with the 7.3L and manual transmission- and 25mpg was the norm, sometimes more
I liked the truck plenty and at one point added a tuner, intake and exhaust and still got close to 23mpg. I even towed 25,000 lbs (trailer and load) out to Salt Lake City and empty trailer back and still got over 14mpg round trip withotu issue.
The truck was getting cancer around the rear wheel wells and the leather seats were cracking and the steeringwheel top all rubbed and discolored plus some nighborhood assholes shot up the one side with a BB or pellet gun..... and at some point I got rid of the 5th wheel and the truck sat for more than a year unused and I decided to let it go
in all the time I owned the truck the only issue I ever had was the cam position sensor (probably changed that like 6 times or more?) and got to where I just carried a spare and the wrench in the glove box and could make the change when needed in under 10 minutes
Along came 2016 and I was sick of constantly towing the small enclosed trailer behind the mustang, especially out to the edge of the woods to get firewood, So I ordered my 2017 Ram 1 ton 6.7L diesel long bed crew cab with the manual transmission (manual transmission has been the required transmission for me!)
I had nothing but problems the first winter going through 3 def pumps in sub 2 months. It had me absolutely hating the truck and ready to drive it off a cliff or into a solid concrete wall. and towing a small enclosed trailer to CA and back netted less than 10mpg which I found horrendous
but I got rid of def all together and have had no issues since. It does not get the MPG's the 7.3L did (not even close) and doesn't do anything better nor worse for what I haul or how I drive (the transmission is not as smooth, that is for certain) but I like the truck just fine I guess...

but I really should have just found a brand new box and fixed some rust and "bullet" dents and kept the 7.3L and if I had it to do over I would have gone that route. I do think that 02 was a better truck as a whole, I doubt I will see 200k out of this one before I get rid of it but who knows
9 yr old car only has 14,000 miles on and this truck at 3.5 years old only 19,000 miles, while my motorcycles all get ridden more than that in any single riding season of less than 6 months.

Reactions: Rammit1959

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone, I’m new to the Cummings family and not off to a good start. I bought a 2002 F750 dump truck with the Cummings 5.9. It has the manual transmission. Truck only has 114,000 miles. The problem I seem to be having is the accelerator will not work, can mash the pedal 100x and it does nothing. The previous owner replaces the gas pedal senor inside the truck and still didn’t fix the problem. The truck runs perfect after it starts. Sometimes it start on first turn over, and other times it has to turn over for several seconds, when this happens the tach jumps all over the place. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone, I’m new to the Cummings family and not off to a good start. I bought a 2002 F750 dump truck with the Cummings 5.9. It has the manual transmission. Truck only has 114,000 miles. The problem I seem to be having is the accelerator will not work, can mash the pedal 100x and it does nothing. The previous owner replaces the gas pedal senor inside the truck and still didn’t fix the problem. The truck runs perfect after it starts. Sometimes it start on first turn over, and other times it has to turn over for several seconds, when this happens the tach jumps all over the place. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Hey Bud you have to post stuff like this in the correct forum if you want to get answers ,You won,t get the answer here in someone else,s post in a fifth gen section for 2019 up for a 2002 fuel problem

·
Registered
755 Posts
1. I would think just about any truck you buy would be more reliable than a 6.4 powerstroke. My father-in-law had an 09 6.4 and it really had to be wound up towing any load. You won't hardly be able to tell a 21 Cummins is running pulling a load down the interstate.

2. All of the HD pickups from all brands will have so many features compared to your 09. The transition from my 2007 to my 14 was amazing, now transitioning to my 21 is another huge step ahead. The HO and 4.10s would be nice for heavy loads but the mileage will be worse for lighter loads.

3. I personally avoid the factory air suspension. Parts are expensive and more cumbersome to work on vs. adding an aftermarket system down the road. My C&C dually rides surprisingly well unloaded but the point of a dually is that it is loaded almost all of the time.

4. The Uconnect system works well but not as good as Waze. You can do Apple/Android car play and use google maps on these new radios.

5. Order times are anybody's guess - could be 8 weeks, could be 24 weeks. I found something close to what I wanted and bought it. I didn't want to have to play the waiting game.

6. Pricing is tightening up with inventory being so low. It used to be something like invoice cost minus all incentives plus half of the holdback. I don't many of those deals are floating around right now. My truck stickered for $70 and I purchased it for $62, plus they gave me $4k more for my trade than other dealers so that made the price even better. My last truck only depreciated $12,000 over 7 years and 140,000 miles so a grand or two up front don't make much of a difference to me. It takes a balance of if you want/need a new truck vs. want the best deal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts