Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have the BD idiot light, or should say had, ever since installing the light, even with my 150/95 fass pump the light will flicker causing concern and annoying. So I decided enough was enough. I talked with my local diesel shop and they definitely do not recommend an electrical fuel pressure gauge for the vp guys, too much pulsation. So autometer only makes a 0-100psi mechanical gauge or do I go with an isspro that won't match my autometers, so talked a little more and came up with idea to use a 0-35psi mech. boost gauge with an isolator. Anyhow turned out I am having no problems with my fuel pressure even though the idiot light kept flashing. At idle it sits at 14-15psi and with the box on 5*5 goes to 12 psi. Feel much safer now with the gauge. So I do not recommend that stupid light to anybody, it cost around $80 and I put the gauge setup in for about $250. works great.:thumbsup

·
Registered
19 Posts
Now you got me worried, I have the idiot light and autometer gauge. My light works alright, or so I thought, comes on when ign is first turned on, when pump builds pressure, light goes out. Autometer gauge has never worked right, on my third one now, I have the pressure snubber as recomended by autometer, but their gauge always ends up being pegged at above full press. (15 psi elect.) I have been relying on the light to warn me of any trouble.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now you got me worried, I have the idiot light and autometer gauge. My light works alright, or so I thought, comes on when ign is first turned on, when pump builds pressure, light goes out. Autometer gauge has never worked right, on my third one now, I have the pressure snubber as recomended by autometer, but their gauge always ends up being pegged at above full press. (15 psi elect.) I have been relying on the light to warn me of any trouble.
That is exactly what the diesel shops in my area said was to stay away from the electrical gauge, way to many problems, too much pulsating from the V.P. If you search through my posts you'll see my mech. gauge install. and so far no problems. Very easy install. I do know of a couple guys with the idiot light and their's only came on when the stock lp died.So for them it worked. Mine however flickered never seemed to work right. Even had the diesel shop look at it, and they put a manual gauge right on the banjo and we went for a drive and it never went down.However the light would be flickering. hope something from this can help

·
DieselAutoPower.com
6,699 Posts
I'm using a boost gauge as well for fuel pressure. It's kinda nice as well. In the event that the lift pump fails all together, you should see the vacuum the VP is pulling on the fuel. ...Not that I ever want to see that.

I just installed that and an idiot light. My reasoning is that since I had to mount the fuel pressure down low on the dash I could see the idiot light flash on the pillar as a indicator to check the fuel. I didn't use an isolator. But I do have a cut off at the VP. I picked up of all things a ice maker line kit from home depot. That threads into the tapped banjo fitting from the cummins campaign kit. That allows for a cut off if I get a leak. I used a small section of 3/8ths clear tubing to connect my gauge to the hard plastic lines. (With a compression fitting and barb adapter) I know I might be loosing 1-2psi with all the expansion of the plastic lines. But it's acting as a great buffer and keeping the gauge from bouncing. Having that section of clear tubing shows just how rough that VP is. You can feel the pulses.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
Well I have the BD idiot light, or should say had, ever since installing the light, even with my 150/95 fass pump the light will flicker causing concern and annoying. So I decided enough was enough. I talked with my local diesel shop and they definitely do not recommend an electrical fuel pressure gauge for the vp guys, too much pulsation. So autometer only makes a 0-100psi mechanical gauge or do I go with an isspro that won't match my autometers, so talked a little more and came up with idea to use a 0-35psi mech. boost gauge with an isolator. Anyhow turned out I am having no problems with my fuel pressure even though the idiot light kept flashing. At idle it sits at 14-15psi and with the box on 5*5 goes to 12 psi. Feel much safer now with the gauge. So I do not recommend that stupid light to anybody, it cost around $80 and I put the gauge setup in for about $250. works great.:thumbsup
I agree with what you said regarding VP44and the pulse issues and we did see some problems with the first two sensors we were using, the third one that we switched to a while back seemed to be the fix, it much better and can withstand the pulses. I would like to have offered you one of the new sensors to try but it sounds like you will not be needing it.

How long a go did you buy the LED kit?

Where did you buy it from, let me see if there is something I can work out for you under warranty or a credit or something.

:beer

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Idiot Light

Hi Dave,
I bought my light about last august because that is right before I put my fass system in, I put the fass in because I had the intank upgrade and when I put the light in the light was flickering right away so I thought I low fuel pressure. Went with the fass 150/95 and still after the install the light flickered but the shop assured me the pressure was good. Ignored the flickering light for a fair amount of time but I just bought a larger trailer and was worried when the light flickered a little more often and brighter. So I put the fuel pressure gauge in and the pressure never drops below 12psi with the fass. I bought the light from abbotsford bd. Thank you for your reply about my problem, it's good to see.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
Hi Dave,
I bought my light about last august because that is right before I put my fass system in, I put the fass in because I had the intank upgrade and when I put the light in the light was flickering right away so I thought I low fuel pressure. Went with the fass 150/95 and still after the install the light flickered but the shop assured me the pressure was good. Ignored the flickering light for a fair amount of time but I just bought a larger trailer and was worried when the light flickered a little more often and brighter. So I put the fuel pressure gauge in and the pressure never drops below 12psi with the fass. I bought the light from abbotsford bd. Thank you for your reply about my problem, it's good to see.

I have seen so many guys drive out of the dealers after getting those in tank pumps installed only to have the light come on right away, Its frustrating to see the dealer correcting one problem and creating another.

I am at the Abbotsford location and that kit should still have warranty on it. If you like I can set you up with one of the new sensors for it. At least if you are not interested in using it perhaps you could recoup some cost by selling it... let me know.

·
Registered
45 Posts
where is the best place to find a fuel pressure gauge kit

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
where is the best place to find a fuel pressure gauge kit
I know where you might find a good deal on a BD Low Fuel Pressure Warning Light Kit

Dukes? :rof

Sorry rcs, inside joke, I am not sure if you read the complete thread or not...

But seriously what kind of gauge are you looking for? Digital, analog or a simple warning light?

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Well I have the BD idiot light, or should say had, ever since installing the light, even with my 150/95 fass pump the light will flicker causing concern and annoying.

Mine even does that with my AirDog 150. But My fuel pressure is always 15-17 PSI regardless of the light. But the pressure switch is seeing the pulsing of the fuel pumps anf VP44...

So I decided enough was enough. I talked with my local diesel shop and they definitely do not recommend an electrical fuel pressure gauge for the vp guys, too much pulsation. So autometer only makes a 0-100psi mechanical gauge or do I go with an isspro that won't match my autometers, so talked a little more and came up with idea to use a 0-35psi mech. boost gauge with an isolator. Anyhow turned out I am having no problems with my fuel pressure even though the idiot light kept flashing. At idle it sits at 14-15psi and with the box on 5*5 goes to 12 psi. Feel much safer now with the gauge. So I do not recommend that stupid light to anybody, it cost around $80 and I put the gauge setup in for about $250. works great.:thumbsup
I got a Dipricol fuel pressure gauge for about $35 bucks... My typical idle pressure...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I hooked up a VW bug (old style) oil pressure sending unit,in my line going to my fuel pressure gauge and it works great, idiot light comes on at about 5 lbs pressure. Cost me 8 bucks and took an hr to hook up.

·
DieselAutoPower.com
6,699 Posts
Well the boost gauge didn't last long. Started leaking (just dripping), thankfully I used Mopar1973Man's advice and plumbed in that needle valve. I swapped my gauge out for a industrial pressure gauge that fits just above the steering wheel. I think my boost gauge was a little off as well. I see 18psi at idle now, and can only dip it down to 11-12psi at WOT. I'm still thinking I'm loosing a little bit of pressure with all the lines though. I'm still in the safe range though.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
Well the boost gauge didn't last long. Started leaking (just dripping), thankfully I used Mopar1973Man's advice and plumbed in that needle valve. I swapped my gauge out for a industrial pressure gauge that fits just above the steering wheel. I think my boost gauge was a little off as well. I see 18psi at idle now, and can only dip it down to 11-12psi at WOT. I'm still thinking I'm loosing a little bit of pressure with all the lines though. I'm still in the safe range though.
Thanks... :thumbsup

I aim to please people the best I can... Funny part is I heard of a bunch of people relying on a isolator to keep fuel from coming in the cab... Which it does for a time... I heard of a few being upset and stuck on the side of the road because they had no way to shut off the fuel to the isolator an/or gauge and it was dripping in the cab...:thud:

Everything fails at one point or another. My design covers the "what if's" much better...:w:

But thanks again for the Kudo's! :thumbsup

1 - 13 of 13 Posts