Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys n gals... i aim to end this once and for all. my '01 just busted the second hard trans line right at the heat exchanger in 6 months. It's the one on the rear of the exchanger that goes directly to the trans.
First off I'm sick of replacing a $60 line every 6 months. So... I'm really considering removing the heat exchanger altogether and adding another cooler on the nose of the truck.

I want to hear from people with twins that have removed it, or people that got fed up and removed it! Everyone says the exchanger is there to help heat the trans fluid which is dumb to me, the trans fluid gets hot quicker than the coolant in these cummins, everyone here takes off driving before the coolant gets up to temp. Trans fluid is under rediculous pressures and warms up quick. Plus isn't heat the enemy to an auto? (I know in my muscle cars and every other race car i've built it is) I know cool temps arent ideal either but why cool trans fluid with hotter coolant?!? I know I cant be the only one this doesn't make sense to...? Yea Yea Yea, the exchanger is more efficient, but it seems it would be working in reverse, the coolant would be heating the trans fluid before going back in the trans after coming out of the cooler on the nose.

If I'm way off base here let me know... but i know those of you who have twins have to remove it, or relocate it.
Please help me out here guys... I just cant see how removing this seemingly useless piece of equipment can cause so much discussion and frustration on this site... I know everyone has a story and a rationalization, but like i said, i wanna hear from ya'll that have already done it... Did it work? no? why? etc...

Thanks guys, as always i love hearing what ya'll got!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I don't have the heat exchanger I now have two trans coolers under the truck that have fans and are temp controlled no problems with trans getting hot even on a hot day towing the boat there must be another problem if your breaking the hard line are all the seperator clips in place

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's cracking or breaking right at the fitting on the exchanger. I've tried everything I can think of to stop the lines from moving. Plus that trans shifts like a sledgehammer, so I know the lines are moving around. I temporarily tried a custom built hydraulic line to deal with the movement. It lasted 3 days, started leaking right at the fitting too. So I went back tithe hard line, and here I am... I can't bring myself to mount a cooler under the truck. Im offroad way to much at my land. I'm thinking maybe like my rockcrawler, mount a cooler int the bed...?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts