Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Extreme Clutch Noise

5392 Views 28 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  mastercaster
Okay- This is my first high performance clutch...and HOLY COW is this thing noisy:shock:. I just hit 34K miles on my 09 truck and installed a Valair Clutch. Is it "normal" for a clutch to be so noisy? If I am around 1300rpms and get on the throttle, it sounds as if gravel is spinning around in the tranny. Also, when the clutch is let out in neutral, very loud.

Any input would be appreciated...please tell me this thing is going to quiet down...

Thanks!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
263 Posts
I hear the Valair's are extremely noisy! Thats just how it is...

· Registered
1,334 Posts
Okay- This is my first high performance clutch...and HOLY COW is this thing noisy:shock:. I just hit 34K miles on my 09 truck and installed a Valair Clutch. Is it "normal" for a clutch to be so noisy? If I am around 1300rpms and get on the throttle, it sounds as if gravel is spinning around in the tranny. Also, when the clutch is let out in neutral, very loud.

Any input would be appreciated...please tell me this thing is going to quiet down...

Thanks!
which clutch did you get? ANY of the aftermarket clutches will be noisier. depends on which one you have as to how much noise to expect. i have the Valair DD sprung hub, and it's much quieter than the unsprung models. you referenced 1300 rpm, but neglected to specify which gear it does that in. all of them? that's not normal if so. but 1300 in most gears is going to be lugging the engine and that will cause the noise you describe. keep it @ or above 1500rpm and she'll be happy. it might quiet down a bit over time, but not much from my experience. if you got the sprung hub, the small amount of rollover noise is about as good as you going to find. you should have heard my last unsprung.....LOUD! had to turn the truck off to talk to someone standing right at my door, or going through a drive through. not anymore.

· Registered
3 Posts
the reason for the noise is springs in the disc are much stronger, depending on what you use the truck for you can up grade the ppa and go with a stock disc. you wil have a greater holding pressure over stock with no noise. my sugestion is stock disc with kevlar facings and a hd ppa

· Registered
3 Posts
flywheels optional, because the noise comes from the stronger springs in the disc, the stock disc has softer, longer springs so disc turns more on the input so the trans dont take the abuse the disc does but the solid flywheel is alot cheaper, i sell this stuff for a living, so these are my experiences

· Premium Member
3,826 Posts

Thanks!
what clutch did you get.

· Registered
218 Posts
I was the same way, i put the clutch in and thought the truck was falling apart. I called dan @ valair and he explained what was going on and now ive got 40k and not problems with the clutch. Thanks Dan for the awsome cusomer service!

· vvv SOME PEOPLE'S KIDS vvv
14,088 Posts
All performance clutches are loud. My single ceramic button clutch at idle is ridiculously loud. It sounds like an extremely worn out Throw out bearing and a possible rod knock. My next clutch is the triple disk set up but I'm goin with a fluidampr to audit down the vibrabtion. Those help a ton and only $400ish not bad.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! I got the Valair DD with ceramic buttons. Holds like crazy...

It does sound like a bad throw out bearing and a rod knock! Smarty Jr set on 3.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I believe it is a sprung hub...

· Registered
426 Posts
Mines real loud with the pedal pushed in. Sounds like its chewing up the throwout bearing, lol. Iv gotten used to it, but i still get some cockeyed looks around town, like geeze, this guys truck has problems, lol

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mines real loud with the pedal pushed in. Sounds like its chewing up the throwout bearing, lol. Iv gotten used to it, but i still get some cockeyed looks around town, like geeze, this guys truck has problems, lol
Yup...I get the same looks. Sounds like a rattle-trap...but it does hold like a MOFO!

· vvv SOME PEOPLE'S KIDS vvv
14,088 Posts
I wish I had a tape recorder that explains why the clutch is so loud. No BS I explain it to somebody at least once a week and hell sometimes it's the same people over and over. But like y'all said it hold!! It's either engaged or not, no in between and no riding the clutch or creaping up at a redlight. It makes the truck hope like a sum....lol

· Registered
959 Posts
Ya they will hold but i would rather have some noise and no slippage IMO they will hold and is a good clutch

· MOD-A-HAULIC
1,076 Posts
All performance clutches are loud. My single ceramic button clutch at idle is ridiculously loud. It sounds like an extremely worn out Throw out bearing and a possible rod knock. My next clutch is the triple disk set up but I'm goin with a fluidampr to audit down the vibrabtion. Those help a ton and only $400ish not bad.

:agree2:

My fluidAMPER.. didn't help much ...

just ask your self .. want it quiet or want it to hold.... PICK ONE... THEN TURN UP THE RADIO...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.