Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an extra rattle that really comes on at 2000rpm. I can hear it alittle at 1900 but at 2000 it really shows up.... Truck rungs great otherwise, my mileage is climbing up again since its warm into the 18-19 range. What do you guys think? Im thinking about pulling the valve cover to check for anything in the valve train that looks wrong. i don't have any gauges yet but will hopefully soon.

tell me what you think. Im gonna be making two 500+ miles round trips this month one pulling a camper and want to get somthing figured out. Im gonna turn the smarty JR back to stock and see if it goes away. I just don't know why it only comes on at 2000rpms.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Smarty Jr makes my CTD rattle like there's no tomorrow ... but most noticable at lower rpms. I just programmed it back to stock cuz I had to have dealer service and man is it quiet now ... real nice ... but the power is gone also :peelout

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but mine is more at 2000 and above....... Im gonna switch it back this morning I got a hour drive and ill see if it does it when its stock

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
are you adding lube to your fuel? if not try adding some power service "diesel kleen" (gray bottle) i cant stand the sound of my truck without it and it pays for its self with the better mileage. lots of guys use 2 cycle oil

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
SMARTY cranks up the timing to increase the efficiency and to lower the EGTs. So more rattle for better fuel economy.

I'll take the rattle...:D

MikeyB

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I havn't been running anything lately..... I use to run Howes, but i stopped just a few tanks ago.... Maybe I should toss some in and see if thats why. I never really noticed the knock/ticking before but I was always using an addative. I use 2stroke in the winter for an anti-gel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts