Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
06 Ram 2500
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering those with extended shackles and or Deaver / Atlas spring packs, does any one know how much the shackles swing back under full compression or when articulated out. Currently planning on some boxes for the side of the truck and would like to avoid contact the spring movement, while maximizing the storage space. With stock shackles it seems there should be no issues, with extended shackles the clearances can get close depending on how far they swing back by the red arrow.

Any input would be appreciated or if anyone has any photos of how the springs / shackles sit at ride height and articulated it would be helpful.

This is where the factory setup is, but will be getting new springs once things are done.

·
Registered
902 Posts
You could always run with the stock shackles and Carli leafs. That should keep things the same. Thuren leafs are longer and must use his shackles on the longest setting as well, so those may make contact. Maybe someone can actually answer your question though.

·
Registered
18,515 Posts
The springs can't get any longer than their flat length, which is easily measured with a tape measure, for example.

Longer shackles can create several issues, so don't use them unless you have to. The U-joint angles won't be correct with longer shackles, if they were correct to start with. Also, lateral stability is obviously lessened with longer shackles.

·
Registered
06 Ram 2500
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The springs can't get any longer than their flat length, which is easily measured with a tape measure, for example.
That is a correct statement, only thing is I have the stock ones at the moment. And trying to avoid contact later then new springs are in place.

Hence look for those with Deaver or atlas springs for some insight.

·
Registered
18,515 Posts
Hence look for those with Deaver or atlas springs for some insight.
I'd think Deaver and Atlas would know the specs of their springs. Have you asked them?

·
Registered
06 Ram 2500
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know Deaver will give out the specs for a stock replacement or a HD replacement as they come from a off the shelf spring supplier. But for their custom springs not until they the specs are finalized. It would end up a higher capacity pack with a higher leaf count instead of thicker leaves.

Been to Atlas a few times in the past and called numerous times, not too sure if it's just the phone operators and front desk people. But they do not portray being a very knowledgeable or professional for the industry. Hopefully the people in the back and the ones making springs are a little better.

Spoke with Bill Alcan, he seems to be very knowledgeable and easy to work with, but same thing only specs on off the shelf and not for custom ones.

It will either be Alcan or Deaver once I get everything on the truck and weights finalized.

·
Registered
18,515 Posts
Okay, but once you have supplied the weight and whatever else they need to know to make the springs, they really should know what the length of the main leaf will be. If not, I wouldn't buy from there.

·
Registered
06 Ram 2500
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have old weights of my original setup which was very much over loaded, then later the bare bones "hotshot" chassis cab style truck one was 2400 drivers side and 2280 passenger. The new set up should be more since things have been added, its still being worked on. Would prefer to get the springs made to with the weight when loaded with the basic equipment and supplied and 20 gallons of fuel and water. Then use air bags for additional weight, just making an attempt to strike a better balance.

The original setup was was utilizing the air bags to support most of the weight as the springs were under a good amount of stress with just the truck which rode great empty, with a camper it was awful on road. Bare bones setup rode great with a camper on road, once off the pavement the rear was making too much contact with the bump stops making for a jarring ride with limited up travel. With version 3 the bump stop extensions have been removed and longer travel airbags bolted to the frame, paired with custom springs to come and a shock re-valve or maybe upgrade to 3.0 rears to match the fronts. With Fox's current lead times that may be unlikely or I find a mate to the lonely 3.0 in the garage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts