Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
04 2500 QC SLT SWB 4x4 Automatic, Smarty Jr., 5" Flo-Pro Exhaust, 260k
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Have an odd situation on my 2004 Cummins and wanted your thoughts. Recently noticed when it was cooler in the mornings (40's) that the truck was taking longer to start, cranked fine, but just longer to start. Well last week we had single digit temps, truck would not start at all. Have a FASS fuel system and filters were due for a change so changed them and primed the system thinking maybe there was air in the system or some other anomaly. Nope, still no start.

Because it was so cold I decided to plug in the block heater even though the truck was in the garage, well the next time I attempt to start it, boom it fired right up. So thought everything was resolved. Go out over the weekend and garage temps are mid-50's, back to an extended start.

Ran a code check, had P2607 (low voltage to #2 Intake Air Heater Relay) pop up. So ran a check of the voltage coming from the battery to relay to grid heater. Relay tested fine, but no reading at the posts at the grid heater, also no heat coming from the heater when the temps were cooler. Additionally, we tested batteries (5 year old Odyssey's) and they read fine, but stopped at Auto Zone for a load test and the tool said they read as bad batteries with readings of 13.02v on passenger and 12.78v on driver's side.

Was hoping the wisdom of this forum could assist in further identifying/validating next steps for a root cause.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Injectors most likely. You should be able to start down to single digit temps easy with no grid heater and no block heater.

Usually once you can't start in the cold it's injectors going bad. You can try torquing the crossover tubes incase they are loose.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts