Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Expensive Mystery Vibration

58095 Views 38 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  Roy strait
05 Dodge 3500 with the 5.9 cummins. Osilating vibrations at different speeds is the problem, 38 to 40 mph, 58 to 64 mph, 72 to 78 mph. more pernounced when climbing hills or pulling a load. One shop said you need to replace your 4X4 universals, so I had that done. Vibration still there. Then the left front wheel bearing became the new thing that needed replacing, so It was replaced. Vibration still there. Brought it to the Dodge dealership and they said there's nothing that we can put our finger on, But you have a recall on your injectors, so they replaced all the injectors which was cool because it was still under cummins warranty at 98000 miles, no more black smoke when I feed er the nuts! Vibration still there. So now I figured I needed some one with more knowledge in the the driveline area, so I brought it to Catco Truck Center. Well this bill hurt more than anything. It just felt like too many people had a hand on my wallet and it was really begining to Suck! They replaced the one end of the front drive shaft, of coarse the really expensive end, installed all new "U" joints in the front shaft and rebalanced it and checked the run out tolerance. The vibration still there. Well then the rear driveline was the next hot topic, so new "U" joints and cut and replace one end on the forward part of the shaft, bend or straightened the shaft to bring the runout into tolerance, check the hanger bearing. Vibration still there. Then the rear bushing in the the transfercase was the next trail and error thingy to do, so they replaced the rear bushing. Vibration still there. OH, Forgot to tell you that somewhere early on, had new tires put on because they swore up and down that it would take care of my problem, which changed nothing. Now the new recomendation is that I have my torque converter bolts checked, and if that don't take care of it that maybe you should have your front differental tore down and checked! Well the bleeding has got to stop! If you have been adding dollars to what has been replaced, you know this has not been cheap by any means, it's nuts! I mean a guy only makes so much a year! Well if you keep your hands off of my wallet and you have good advice, I'm all ears, Thanks for your time.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
215 Posts
05 Dodge 3500 with the 5.9 cummins. But you have a recall on your injectors, so they replaced all the injectors which was cool because it was still under cummins warranty at 98000 miles, no more black smoke when I feed er the nuts!
I have never heard of this recall. Can someone enlighten me?

No idea about your Vibration but have read about bad rear diff pinion bearings.:confused013:

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well maybe I should not call it a recall. What they told me is they had a problem with a check valve on the return line or something like that. They said because of the black smoke I was putting out, they figured The injectors would fall under the warranty also. My mileage went to hell after they replaced the injectors though.

· Registered
240 Posts
Mine does the same thing, except not at 70+ mph like yours.

The vibration I get is most noticeable at around 1600-1700 RPM with the torque converter locked. That means its worst at 40mph in 3rd and 60mph in OD. Worse yet when towing or climbing a hill.

Anything past 65mph and its smooth as silk.

I'm ready to try the single piece drive shaft to see if it will cure the problem.

· Joel's Diesel
1,165 Posts
Well, mine vibrates (seat and floor board, not steering wheel) between 72 and 74 mph. Same story here, one day the vibration just happened. Ok, rear u joint went bad, I replaced both. Still there. Pulled the front driveshaft, still happening. Found a bad axle joint, replaced both, still there. Then I got the shaft rebalanced, replaced the front harmonic balancer, balanced and rotated the tires, added rear Carli mini packs (raised the rear an inch), replaced rear axle bearings, all of this was done one at a time with no success. No side to side movement in the rear diff yoke (doesn't mean it isn't bad). Any way, the one thing that lessens the vibration is to re-index the rear shaft to the differential, 90 degrees at a time. I finally found the sweet spot on mine, vibration is almost gone.

One thing to be damn sure of is if it vibrates at a certain speed or at a certain rpm, that can help you at least narrow it down to the engine balancer/torque converter or the rest of the drivetrain.

· Cummins Nut
681 Posts
all i can say is have found that my flywheel is out of wack and wobbles back and forth at idle ,,,,, so im replacing the flywheel and going thru the trans in a couple of days just waiting on some parts right now.....but like said before smooth as silk untill the converter locks up and anywhere from 1700 to 2100 rpm she has that vib ,,ive done the u-joints, balanced the drive shaft which was in good shape, all mounts look good.....BTW the truck is all stock also tires are new too

· Registered
65 Posts
Wher do you feel the vibration , in the seat of your pants ,steering wheel, resonating through the truck, front or rear of the truck? I have seen axles in the rear diff cause some really weird vibrations. May also be a torque convertor shudder that would explain why its more pronounced when your loading the engine on a incline.

· Registered
19 Posts
Hi fellas

I have a similar problem...haven't got a signature yet, but...06 3500 Mega 4x4, auto. Does anyone have this problem with the manual? Guessing no?

My ball joints are bad, and axle u joints being replaced at same time. My guess is these repairs won't fix the shudder. Mine comes on when it goes into OD. Or at least you really notice it there. Drive down the hwy at 50+ under acceleration, don't notice it, but cruising at about any speed in OD....you feel it in your feet and butt. Speed up or slow down, it goes away. Cruising 1700+ or so, its back.

I'm going down the same road of chasing things, but, my guess: automatic transmission. Rip Rook will be seeing mine shortly.

B

· Registered
240 Posts
Resonates through the truck. Kind of has a pulsing, "woo-woo-woo-woo" sound.

Done it since it was new, never gotten any worse or better for 37,000 miles.

Dealers will try a couple things before they just call it a "characteristic of the vehicle".

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if you have some thing in the cup holder it will begin to vibrate at certain rpm's and speeds. you look out your mirrors and they vibrate enough that you can't see through them clearly. you feel it through out the truck and not all the time.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Vibration: 3rd Generation Dodge Ram Trucks
With the introduction of the hydro-formed frame in 2003 a new "problem" developed. The old C-channel/I beam frames tended to dampen noise and vibrations. The new hydro-formed frames tend to amplify noise and vibrations and transmit them throughout the body. The Cummins has a couple of resonant points, like any rotating machinery, and can create this problem. The engine, along with several other components, can transmit various vibrations to the frame. The one that most people complain about is around 70-75 MPH (2000-2100 RPM).
In 2004 I wrote an article in TDR about these vibrations and the various solutions we had discovered over time. I want to emphasize that there is no one solution. Each truck is different. Below is a breakout of what we've found at Carson Dodge so far:

Component at Fault - Frequency (on a scale of 1-10)

Transmission: Add rubber between transmission mount and cross-member. - 9

Rear driveshaft: bent, misaligned U-joints, incorrect pinion angle, out of balance, sloppy center carrier bearing. - 9

Front exhaust hanger: bend, cutoff, or replace all. - 8

Tires: balance, out of round, and tread design. - 7

Skid plate: remove. - 3

Power steering hoses: install updated version, TSB 19-008-03. - 4

Front driveshaft: bent, out of balance. - 2

Transmission dipstick tube: tube vibrating against heater hose. - 2

Loosen engine/transmission mounts: either drive a short distance or jack up engine/transmission and allow to "settle", then re-tighten. - 2

As you can see, each vehicle responds to a different approach. It's strictly trial and error. The solutions, assuming there aren't defective components, revolve around isolating the engine, transmission, driveshaft, etc. from the frame.
The most frequent complaints come from 4X4, automatic, QC, LWB trucks. The number of trucks impacted with this "quirk" has gone down steadily since 2004, although we occasionally still get the complaint.
Currently the only thing Dodge will pay for is to check the driveshaft with an inclinometer to determine if the angle is within spec (+- .5 degrees).

· Registered
114 Posts
TAKE OFF THE FRONT DRIVESHAFT AND DRIVE IT!!!!!!
I will put money on it that the vibe will be gone

dealt with the same BS as you

Catco is a screw job, they cost me more than if I had just had new driveshafts built.

Reactions: pumpwrench

· Registered
114 Posts
it has to do with the CV joint on the front driveshaft and slop in the front axle pinion. Dodge engineers cant figure that one out or dont want to address it properly.

Reactions: Dommer

· Registered
114 Posts
Resonates through the truck. Kind of has a pulsing, "woo-woo-woo-woo" sound.

Done it since it was new, never gotten any worse or better for 37,000 miles.

Dealers will try a couple things before they just call it a "characteristic of the vehicle".
the sound you are referring to is from the hanger bearing resonating, Ive had three different ones in my truck and all of them made the sound at different conditions and the one that catco put in was the worst, it wobbled.

· Registered
240 Posts
the sound you are referring to is from the hanger bearing resonating, Ive had three different ones in my truck and all of them made the sound at different conditions and the one that catco put in was the worst, it wobbled.
If thats the case, then the single piece driveshaft should fix it.

Now I just have to convince the ol' lady that I need about $500 to fix a vibration. :rof

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.