Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides the DPF Delete Kits that are out there right now, are there any good exhaust systems for the 6.7? Mostly wat i am finding are systems with just the muffler delete. Are there any systems with an aftermarket muffler that are out there for the 6.7 bc i heard that takin the muffler off doesn't really do anything

·
Unreconstructed
6,320 Posts
Yeah, so actually, the ONLY way to gain anything is from completely removing the emissions crap.

On the 6.7's...(as far as stock exhaust)...NO muffler, is better than, ANY aftermarket muffler that you could EVER put on there!!!

If anything, the LESS restrictive you can make the stock exhaust...the BETTER off you are!

Because it is SO restrictive already!

That is why everyone is doing DPF-Delete's. Because there's NO point in wasting your hard-earned money on "crap" (which it pretty much is), that doesn't do JACK-CRAP for your truck, HP, TQ, sound, MPG's, etc...!!!!!!!!!!

There is NO substitute...period.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
hey Sagdaddy, you will gain absolutely NOTHING by doing an exhaust that isnt the delete. when i first got the truck, i did the DPF back exhaust. nothing but a waste of cash. i dont have a muffler right now and it makes no difference!!!!!

·
Unreconstructed
6,320 Posts
Yeah! But that's about it!

And if you want a shiny tip, all you have to do, is go to you local exhaust shop, and have them weld one on your factory tailpipe for $75!!!

Of course, if you want to pay $500 for a shiny tip, you can come down to Alabama, and I'll do it for $400!

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, so actually, the ONLY way to gain anything is from completely removing the emissions crap.

On the 6.7's...(as far as stock exhaust)...NO muffler, is better than, ANY aftermarket muffler that you could EVER put on there!!!

If anything, the LESS restrictive you can make the stock exhaust...the BETTER off you are!

Because it is SO restrictive already!

That is why everyone is doing DPF-Delete's. Because there's NO point in wasting your hard-earned money on "crap" (which it pretty much is), that doesn't do JACK-CRAP for your truck, HP, TQ, sound, MPG's, etc...!!!!!!!!!!

There is NO substitute...period.
I would go with the DPF delete but the thing that sucks for me is that the county i live in down here in Texas has emissions testing in all vehicles including diesels, so if i went for the whole delete then i wouldnt be able to pass emissions. So ur sayin that just a muffler delete is better than an aftermarket muffler that i could put on (i.e. hushpower pro series or Aeroturbine?) I did notice that Magnaflow puts out a filter back system for the 6.7 that comes with both an optional muffler delete plus a magnaflow muffler...anyone heard anything about this one?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
mbrp does not include a muffler so its straight from filter back, no muffler let me know if i can help with any info or anything.

Tyler

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
The muffler is actually a resonator on the 6.7s. It has a straight though core. No power or sound gain if you just delete it with a dpf back system. Get a dpf delete kit and leave the stock resonator in place. Best bang for your buck...uncorked these 6.7s perform better on fuel also.

·
Unreconstructed
6,320 Posts
YEP...I agree with Rockwerx 100%.

You can get a DPF-delete, and a muffler delete, and still use your factory tailpipe, and you would be in MUCH better shape than a "filter-back" setup.

Of course, you could order your DPF-delete setup, and then buy a filter-back straight-pipe setup w/ dual-tips or something like that...and that would turn out pretty good, too?

But if you wanted duals, or, a different tailpipe & tip...you'd be better off, just going ahead and getting the BADP 5" TBE w/ the "code free", or Gen-2 module.

JMHO.

*** Hey Tyler, and Kevin...yall shoot this boy a PM with a pic, and price on the BADP 5" TBE single, and duals!!!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
sagdaddy, i dont think you are understanding me..... stock muffler taken off or aftermarket muffler does NOTHING!!!!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sagdaddy, i dont think you are understanding me..... stock muffler taken off or aftermarket muffler does NOTHING!!!!!!
Alright, hey i was just makin sure, im fairly new to this diesel performance so i just had a couple of questions and was tryin to figure out wat to do, like i said the reason why was askin about that was bc where i live i will NOT be able to pass emissions testing if i take off the DPF...and they are strict as hell on that over here

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,459 Posts
Alright, hey i was just makin sure, im fairly new to this diesel performance so i just had a couple of questions and was tryin to figure out wat to do, like i said the reason why was askin about that was bc where i live i will NOT be able to pass emissions testing if i take off the DPF...and they are strict as hell on that over here
What county do you live in that requires emissions testing on diesels? This is the first I have heard of in the state of Texas, it is NOT a state requirement so it must be a county code. Got any relatives that live in another county you can register the truck in? Get your inspections out of county and get a DPF delete. Or get a DPF delete and simply swap your stock exhaust back on the truck once a year for your inspection. As soon as you have a new windshield sticker, put the DPF delete back on.

With the emissions equipment in tact, there is very little you can do to this truck as far as power, sound, or mileage increases. Just about everything you do to add power and efficiency will clog your emissions equipment. Currently the only way around that is to defeat the emissions equipment. Then your options are near limitless as far as upgrades to your powertrain, just like the 5.9L. Just my $.02

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What county do you live in that requires emissions testing on diesels? This is the first I have heard of in the state of Texas, it is NOT a state requirement so it must be a county code. Got any relatives that live in another county you can register the truck in? Get your inspections out of county and get a DPF delete. Or get a DPF delete and simply swap your stock exhaust back on the truck once a year for your inspection. As soon as you have a new windshield sticker, put the DPF delete back on.

With the emissions equipment in tact, there is very little you can do to this truck as far as power, sound, or mileage increases. Just about everything you do to add power and efficiency will clog your emissions equipment. Currently the only way around that is to defeat the emissions equipment. Then your options are near limitless as far as upgrades to your powertrain, just like the 5.9L. Just my $.02
I live in Fort Bend county which borders Harris county (Houston). Harris county and bordering counties have emissions testing, and they include diesels also from what i have been told. I do not have any relatives in another county so i might have to do the swap b4 and after the inspection....is that easly done if would have to do that?

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,459 Posts
I live in Fort Bend county which borders Harris county (Houston). Harris county and bordering counties have emissions testing, and they include diesels also from what i have been told. I do not have any relatives in another county so i might have to do the swap b4 and after the inspection....is that easly done if would have to do that?
I don't know from firsthand experience but I am almost completely certain there is NO emissions testing for diesel trucks in Harris County. I think you need to do some investigating on that. As far as swapping the exhaust, it is a 3-4 hour job but, IMO, worth it once a year if it is what is needed to keep you "legal."

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know from firsthand experience but I am almost completely certain there is NO emissions testing for diesel trucks in Harris County. I think you need to do some investigating on that. As far as swapping the exhaust, it is a 3-4 hour job but, IMO, worth it once a year if it is what is needed to keep you "legal."
Ya im gonna have to do some searching into that to make sure bc if they and the surrounding counties dont, then its on. Thats not bad at all tho if you only have to do it once a year, itll be worth it

·
Unreconstructed
6,320 Posts
Yeah, as long as you got all the right tools...which ain't nothing more than standard handtools, a good impact-gun, sockets, & air compressor, and a transmission jack...OR a jerry-rigged setup with a floor-jack.

It will take a NON-mechanically inclined person around 4-6 hours (complete job).

However, if you know what you're doing, you're looking between 2-4 hours (complete job).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok so i just read up on the Texas Department of Public Safety's website and says that only gasoline vehicles have to pass emissions and diesels are exempt....looks like i gotta save up some money for a DPF delete kit

1 - 20 of 25 Posts