Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking or running custom 8in dual stacks. i would be going from 4in pipe to 8in dual stacks. From whats in my sig whould i be losing power by doing this setup? should i go 5in. to 8in.? Also what is the recomended size of exhaust pipe for HP numbers?

·
"MR. ESAFO TO YOU!!"
5,536 Posts
from what i've been told a rule of thumb is 550ish hp & under 4' is good. should have no problems going 4-8 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Boy, here's a can o' worms. There seems to be a huge debate w/ no definitive answers. As far as the performance aftermarket companies go, I've seen 4" up to 450hp, others say it's ok for 550, even heard of 650 is ok for 4". What I haven't heard alot of is people w/ having issues w/ 5" exhaust on lightly modded, 350-450 (rear wheel). I went with 5" for setup in my sig. because I plan on doing twins down the road. It runs like a raped ape the way it sits now, but of course who's to say I'm losing something having the bigger tube. The price isn't really that much more, & bigger exhaust sounds better IMHO. Easier to control the drone too. 4" vs 5" straight-5" has A LOT less drone from my expierience. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im planning on twins and a few more mods in the future as well so maybe ill just do 5 in to 8 in stacks.

·
"MR. ESAFO TO YOU!!"
5,536 Posts
Im planning on twins and a few more mods in the future as well so maybe ill just do 5 in to 8 in stacks.
thats your best bet :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
25,250 Posts
If your talking about the bed kit, go 5''. If your going with twins later, IMO, don't worry about what is under the truck until then. With twins, you'll need to change your downpipe anyway.

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
Registered
303 Posts
Ahh, good point BBRam. My 2 pennies here, check w/ Source Automotive. Very good people to deal with, good prices on 5" systems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts