Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was gonna take off the section of exhaust pipe right from behind the muffler and paint it black. I got the clamp loose and the mount, too, but I could not separate the pipe from the muffler. Has anybody taken this off yet and how did you get yours off?

I even tried the bang with the hammer as a buddy pulls approach, too.

Thanks,

Billy

·
Registered
96 Posts
maybe try and heat it up real hot with a torch. im goin to be taking my muffler out soon and i figured if i couldnt get it off the way you described that i would try the good 'ol torch, heat it up red hot and try to pull it off that way.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Break out the HOT HAMMER and go to it. Once its cherry all the way around... tap, pull, kick and it will slide right off. Good Luck... Chris

·
Registered
990 Posts
i actually cut my muffler and cat off. just got up underneath (an advantage of being small) and used a reciprocating saw. when i got mine off my pipes were rusted together (we tried an air chisel and no luck) so you might be in for more than you bargained for with dissasembly. then i went to my local muffler shop and got a piece of 4" pipe, had it flanged and welded it up. my total cost ended up to be about $45 for both pipes

to weld up we just got a 185 miller and set it slow wire medium heat and tacked it, we couldnt run an actual bead because my pipe would melt away from the rust.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts