Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 as seen below. I am going to freshen her up a little. I was thinking about exhaust upgrade. Can some of you guys add your opinions. I was thinking about a short straight pipe. My buddy has it done on his stroker and it sounds great.

Are the 5.9s loud with a short straight pipe?

How does the magnaflow sound on them?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Just put a Cat back MBRB on love the sound and I have to say there isn't much differance between this exhaust with this muffler or a straight piped deal...

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have the mbrp 5" straight pipe kit. Its sounds really mean. If you hall heavy loads i would do a muffler, because it cuts down on drone. 4" straight sounds good. But keep it out the back. Closer to the cab=more cab noise

Sent from my DROID RAZR

·
Your Delightfully Ginger Kentucky President
3,754 Posts
If you tow, you definitaly dont want a straight pipe, unless you like not hearing yourself talking.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I tow. I tow a ton. In fact, lately I have been towing my excavator which is way too big for my truck to pull. I can easily get it going but not easy to stop. but I must do what i must do!

·
Registered
176 Posts
May want to look into an exhaust brake before an exhaust. Doesn't matter how it sounds after you smash it all to hell.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I had a MBRP 4in turbo back straight pipe and just driving around town in sounds awsome but it is to loud. I just added the resonator today and it cut down the noise a lot. Most exhaust manufacturers sell turbo back kits with the cat delete pipe. I have also heard of people having the internals of the cat removed and just having it look like you have a cat if you are cursed by smog laws...... Stupid CA...... I would also recommend getting an exhaust break to help you slow down. It will help your brakes last longer and prevent you from losing control due to excessive speed when going down a steep grade. Most exhaust brake kits are around 1500 and an exhaust are 300+ depending on who you go with and what size pipe.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
350 Posts
I know its not a complete exhaust but i got a delete pipe cause i didnt want to spend money on whole new exhause and its amaizing i got a deep rumble and lots of turbo whistle...... also get help from intake and elbow

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
is there a performance/fuel increase as well with the cat delete and a mbrp exhaust? Or does it just really change the sound?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I noticed a fuel decrease when I did mine but I think that's from enjoying the new sound. Lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR

·
Registered
362 Posts
As far as I know it is just less restriction when you remove the cat. As for MBRP it was just the company I went with because they sold a turbo back kit that deleted the cat and resonator which was harder to find.
Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have the mbrp 5" turbo back kit and love it! I had the cat back system, then straight piped then the turbo back. The cat back system was very quiet almost sounded stock and straight piped was way too loud! The turbo back kit is the best of both worlds. It is very quiet on the freeway and when you're easy on it but loud when you get on it and want to turn some heads! I know it's not a lot but I towed 7,000 lb's cross country and never got annoyed with it and I rarely get drown. I highly recommend it!

·
MO chapter Vice President
1,398 Posts
I like my BANKS exhaust system. It has a deep mellow rumble at idle, no drone in the cab, lets the turbo whistle sneek through, but yet gets a roar when you get on it.

Sent from my LS670 using AutoGuide.com App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.