Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a gasket that goes between the exhaust manifold and the turbo? If so could someone point me in the right direction for the part and how I might go about repairing it. I have a leak there (evident by noise and soot marks). Help is greatly appreciated :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yup!! theres a gasket there, you can get the gasket from cummins and its a simple job just takes a little time.

Remove turbo and put new gasket it and reinstall turbo

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so i don't need any gasket lube or anything? sweet

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Ya it is just a metal gasket. Nothing else is needed to install just gasket except quite a bit of time. It takes a while to pull the turbo and put back on. But maybe you can get the turbo and manifold seperated enough to put the gasket in without completely pulling the turbo.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I got a leak to... will be doing both of my gaskets soon.

·
Registered
975 Posts
ya the back two on the turbo/manifold flange are kinda of a pain but not bad i had to replace my manifold gaskets and since i was there went ahead and did the turbo gasket aswell ive got torqe specs in my truck i'll post them up in a minm oh ya manifold was a [email protected]#*:banghead:

·
Registered
975 Posts
32 Ft/lbs

must have ten characters

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah how do you get those back 2 off? mine are just studs?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I would recommend just removing the entire manifold. Remove air filter box and all the air intake to compressor side of turbo(gives you more room). Unplug the turbo electronics. Loosen the exhaust side clamp from the down tube. Disconnect tube going to intercooler. Disconnect turbo oil inlet and drain from block. Thatʻll take about fifteen minutes. Meanwhile spray penetrating lube on manifold bolts and turbo bolts. Remove manifold bolts and lift entire assembly out. That will give you access to the four manifold-turbo bolts. Pretty darn simple once you commit to doing it. Believe me, it is WAY harder to try and remove those four bolts while its still in the truck. My .02

Reactions: starfltcdrjr

·
Registered
975 Posts
^^ very true but its do able with the manifold intact which is what took me the longest to take off and put back on as manifolds tend to warp and I broke the first bolt i came too luckly it backed right out with an ease out and if you do go this route lots of penetrating oil and you might aswell go ahead and buy manifold bolts and my honest opionon manifold gaskets aswell and go ahead and drill and tap for a egt if you haven't done so on the four hole flange there are two studs on the manifold side and two on the turbo side the only one that is a real pain is the one closest to the back of the engine that back corner of the flange the two easly visual arnt two bad and the one closest to the block in the front if you have about a 2ft extension you can reach the bottom of it from under the truck but if you going to take the manifold off which imho I wouldn't for just the turbo gasket but if you do I would go ahead and replace any gasket/bolts on manifold when I did mine it was worped and I ended up having to drill a couple of holes out on the manifold to get it to line up to the bolt holes on the block but best of luck and i'll help as much as I can

·
Registered
975 Posts
Imho I wouldn’t go through the trouble of taking the manifold off to just replace the turbo flange gasket. Manifolds tend to warp and that’s what took me the longest to do was get the manifold off and back on. The first manifold bolt I came to broke off in the block luckily it backed right out with an ease out. Either way LOTS of penetrating oil. Imho if you do take the manifold off you might as well replace the manifold gaskets and bolts since you there along with drilling and tapping for a egt if you haven’t already done so even if you don’t put one on your already there. The two nuts/studs that a easily visual are fairly easy to take off the nut/stud closest to the front of the block in the back is easy if you have about a 2ft extension because you can reach the nut from underneath the truck and run the extension up to it the only on that is the major pain is the one closest to the back of the block in the back but very do able with the manifold on. Just my .02 Best of luck and I’ll help as much as I can

·
Registered
975 Posts
LOL sorry I double posted the second one is prolly more clear I thought it got deleted my internet went down on me :banghead:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks lee. I think i got the same CB as you WX and all :D

·
Registered
975 Posts
I find it easier with the tire and wheel liner removed.
Didn't evan think of taking those off but thats sounds like a good Idea it prolly would have helped

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Ok so I'm kinda stuck... turbo is loose but engine mount is preventing me from dropping it all the way??? any ideas? here's a pick. I started to separate the front from the back of the turbo but thought better of it :p.

·
Registered
975 Posts
mine from what I can remember had plenty of room to drop down but I could be mistaken I had my manifold off but I put it on before putting the turbo back into place so from memory it had room to drop out

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah you were right I'm just dumb and forgot to remove the oil drain..... (can leave inlet to just slip in the gasket). Here's a pic of the carnage just for fun :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts