Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was going to take off my manifold and turbo together. Figured would change gaskets and drill for pyrometer while changing wastegate. Rear bottom bolts of number 5 and 6 are not coming out without a torch. Go to put all the other bolts in, and it seems the number 2 runner shrunk. It will not line up. It is about 1/8” off. So, I’m going to try and drill out the manifold ever so slightly. Worst case scenario is I have to order a new manifold. Unless someone here has a decent one they would like to unload🤪. Suggestions??

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
check and make sure it even still sits flat. A lot of times they both shrink and warp and once you unbolt them they are done and will always leak.

I went with the BD cast iron manifold as it was the cheapest well made option I could find at the time. Works fine and has the slip joint so can't shrink.

Reactions: chokozip

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I was able to grind the manifold bolt hole just a hair. The bolts them lined up and all tightened down perfectly. No leaks that I can see as of yet. Have 6 hrs of driving as of this message.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
I have the BD on my 2nd gen 24v and its been great. I am also in the process of installing one on my 04'. The install on the 04 is a real MF compared to the 2nd gen. While you are in there replace all the heater hoses and the turbo drain hose. It will all be right there to do. Pop that inner fender out and you have a lot more access.

Sean

·
Clayton @ Dude's Diesel Performance
3,629 Posts
Most of my customers go with BD manifolds and or steed speed. Steed speed however is quite a long wait which most customers do not wish to wait. Holler if you need some help my friend!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Manifold was cracked. Out with the old...

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And in with the new.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just make sure you take a spray bottle with some soapy water and check for leaks. Initially I used the divided gasket with my stock turbo on my 05 and had issues a few months later leaking right between where the EGT ports are. Open gasket was great until I had leakage issues again. Just got done milling off .017 between the two flanges and she seems great now.

Strangely enough, you will have to re-tighten those EGT plugs every now and then as they will leak also.

You’ll like that BD manifold. I think they are a worthwhile improvement over the stock piece. The ceramic finish doesn’t last that well though. Here’s what mine looks like after 4 years.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Just make sure you take a spray bottle with some soapy water and check for leaks. Initially I used the divided gasket with my stock turbo on my 05 and had issues a few months later leaking right between where the EGT ports are. Open gasket was great until I had leakage issues again. Just got done milling off .017 between the two flanges and she seems great now.

Strangely enough, you will have to re-tighten those EGT plugs every now and then as they will leak also.

You’ll like that BD manifold. I think they are a worthwhile improvement over the stock piece. The ceramic finish doesn’t last that well though. Here’s what mine looks like after 4 years. View attachment 909082
I was close to buying one of these. But I’m disappointed the coating came off that fast. Or maybe 4 years is a long time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was close to buying one of these. But I’m disappointed the coating came off that fast. Or maybe 4 years is a long time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve been thinking about getting a manifold blanket. That will cover it up and hopefully drop the under hood temp some. Did some data logging on a hot day and I can’t believe how hot the IAT gets even with the air box. Ambient air and IAT were within 2 degrees of each other at 5 am, so doubt there’re sensor issues.

But yes, the BD coating is more is a storage finish than a real anti corrosion coating in my opinion. A bunch of it came off easily when I installed it back in 16’.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I got the thermal zero one. Completely hides my BD from sight.

Can't say I noticed as much of a differenc as I did doing the turbo blanket from a performance aspect, but under hood temps are better.

·
Trying to learn
5,882 Posts
I’ve been thinking about getting a manifold blanket. That will cover it up and hopefully drop the under hood temp some. Did some data logging on a hot day and I can’t believe how hot the IAT gets even with the air box. Ambient air and IAT were within 2 degrees of each other at 5 am, so doubt there’re sensor issues.

But yes, the BD coating is more is a storage finish than a real anti corrosion coating in my opinion. A bunch of it came off easily when I installed it back in 16’.
For increased mpg, IAT should run about 20-25ºf higher than ambient temp.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Any experience with steed speed? My BD manifold is leaking at the turbo.....again.....

Only thing I can think of is I did not install new studs and nuts this time. I’m going to sink the hell out of new studs, I’ll probably just oil the threads instead of copper antisieze, and I’ll go ahead and use Nord locks this time. Maybe even give everything a nice bath of red Loctite. The guys at BD weren’t very helpful. What gets me is it leaks in the same spot every time, even after machining both surface is flat. It always leaks right below where the threaded ports for pyrometers are. Sure is getting old pulling the turbo out every five minutes.

I guess if it happens again I’ll do the two month lead time and bite the bullet and go with a 362sxe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts