Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the 5/15th hole drilled in the manifold, and moved on to tapping it..untill the tap snapped off in the hole..about half way done.:w:

We tried drilling it out by ma king a small pilot hole and then using a screw extractor but cant even get a small pilot hole...

Any ideas? I dont wana drive the truck like this.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i am not sure if you can but try taching a small bolt to the end of the tap and try screwing it out that way but i dont know if u can tach a bolt or anything to a tap

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Ouch, Ouch , Ouch. Maybe take your manifold off and put some heat to it with torch. Then try removing the tap. I am not sure though which will expand first, the tap or the manifold.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Maybe take a die grinder and put a slot in the top of the die for a flat head screwdriver. looks pretty small though, maybe not do-able?

·
Registered
674 Posts
take the manifold off and try removing the tap that way, do not heat the manifold with a torch unless the turbo is off the manifold

·
......................... .....
2,798 Posts
if it wasnt cast wack the tap w/ a chisel, the tap shatters with the cast, it might just rip the threads out........ i like the die grinder idea, tho it never seems to work......

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I don't think that I've ever successfully extracted a tap out of anything.

Granted, I've never had a tap broken in anything I really needed it out of...

·
Registered
76 Posts
snapon makes a great tool to get them out. i have used them many times and they worked everytime

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. I think i'm gonna try taking it off tomorrow. Tho a trip down to harbor freight tools might save me a lot of time.

Ill try the die grinder and flathead thing in the morning.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Tho a trip down to harbor freight tools might save me a lot of time.
Is that what got ya in trouble in the first place (was your tap a H.F. jobbie)? I have used and still have some of Harbor Freights tools... but for the most part... they are JUNK!!!
Good luck. Let us know.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nope..got it at ace. Im not a big fan of HF, but for a one time use tool why not

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well decided to just take it off. Got all the bolts off cept the ones where it meets the turbo...for some reason i only have 2 out of 4 bolts on it...That cant be good

·
Registered
284 Posts
I's just givin' ya a hard time. Like I said, I have/use some of there stuff to. Just not the critical precision stuff. Again... Good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well decided to just take it off. Got all the bolts off cept the ones where it meets the turbo...for some reason i only have 2 out of 4 bolts on it...That cant be good
Does that mean two bolts are missing, possibly broken off???

·
Registered
120 Posts
i would say take your manifold off and if u have a drill press or know anyone that has one use a titanium coated size smaller drill but and cut it out if not take it to a machine shop and have them do it for you

·
Registered
32 Posts
Taps are really hard to drill, i've found it better to use a center punch or small chisel to break the tap and pick out the pieces. A shop with experience and proper carbide drill can do it, or they can burn it out with an EDM .
A friend once ask me to remove several broken of screws in his Honda,s engine case. He had really F#*#* it up. Had 5 broken off screws , 2 with broken drill bits in with the screws and one with a broken eze-out in with a broken drill bit with the broken screw. I did it just to see if i could. With much trial and effort and sweat and tears i got them all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts