Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Exhaust laws..?

1267 Views 7 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  dirty454
I live in Texas and I bought a 06 2500 2 weeks ago. I wanna get it loud and get the exhaust flowin good but I'm not familiar with any of the laws.. Is it legal to just run a straight pipe? No DPF, CAT or muffler? just need a little filling in..
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3,661 Posts
well no DPF's on a 06 but you do have a CAT and muffler and if a mega cab a resonator.

I talked to a state inspector yesterday while getting mine inspected and it is safety inspection only no emissions as long as it doesnt leak. That is what he stated.

· Diesel Junkie
4,194 Posts
I moved the thread to the general diesel discussion....you might want to post this in the Texas section as well.:thumbsup:

· Premium Member
12,495 Posts
Federal law is you can't alter the stock exhaust system.
Luckily it's very rarely enforced, but if someone has it out for you watch out.

· Registered
314 Posts
i live in ft worth and nobody has every botered me about running my straight pipe...no cats or anything..so your good to go just cut it off lol

· SNAFU
4,724 Posts
I think the law in TX just changed so it will depend on what shop you take it to to get inspected, some will pass you without a muffler some will make you have one, you might have to shop around to see which shop will pass you. The law used to state that any diesel with a turbo didnt need a muffler but it just recently changed to you have to have a muffler.

· Registered
250 Posts
Just went through this acouple months ago

The turbo is considered a muffler, BUT if it came with a turbo and a muffler from the factory wich it did, it is required to have both

What I did was cut the inlet and outlet to 5"( I have 5" turbo back) and ran a strait pipe through the cat and installed this

eBay Motors: THE SMALLEST 5 INCH DIESEL MUFFLER GM GMC FORD DODGE (item 300312960174 end time May-15-09 11:07:00 PDT)

Believe me its as close to strait pipe as you can get and cant tell the difference from before but there is a "muffler" there!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.