Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advise and help guys...

I have been chasing an exhaust hiss on my truck for a while now. I have a down pipe to a resonator then stock muffler and tail pipe. The problem I have is a hiss when using my exhaust brake coming from under the passenger side floor board area. I have welded the exhaust and still have this hiss when the EB is on. Today I took the turbo band clamp off the down pipe and found some evidence of a leak due to soot. I removed the stock copper colored gasket between the down pipe and turbo flange. I cleaned up the turbo flange and the down pipe mating surfaces. I removed all but one exhaust hanger to let the down pipe flange find it's way when installing to the turbo. The clamp seems to be fine so I put it back on. In the end I have pretty much the same sound when the EB is engaged! I am going crazy about this. I feel like laying under the truck I hear the sound in the pipe.

I hate using the EB now because I can't stand the sound. I also feel like people look at my truck as I slow down and are like man that thing is going to blow up... I need to use the EB when towing and I use it all the time to save on brakes.

I am contemplating putting Copper RTV on the turbo flange to try and seal it up, but now I'm not sure the turbo is leaking. I have a new clamp on the way also to see if that changes anything but man I am at a loss as to what to do next. I will try to upload a video to give you guys an idea of what I am hearing.

I am open to suggestions.

Todd

·
Registered
174 Posts
Video would help. But if its only when the EB is on that means its from the EB to the turbo. Another option would be if you can get your hands on a GoPro; then you could mount it down there and just do a quick test drive with it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here are a couple sample videos. The noise is way less in the video than in the truck...

Windows up

Passenger window down

Thanks
Todd

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the clamp arrived... Guess I won't be using it as the original Mopar one looks better...

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would at least use that new gasket

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gasket installed, no difference that I can tell.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
If you are running the stock turbo and exhaust brake then you would need to look upstream of the turbo. Thats where the back pressure will be. Not the down pipe connection.
Mine is reverse as my EB IS downstream.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
a couple more videos for additional help.

N of 60 I took one under the hood and I'm not hearing the same noise. I am perplexed on what to do next. I've checked the EGR cooler plates as well.

Under Truck

Under Hood

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok so check the bracket that bolts the exhaust back pressure/ drive pressure ( I don’t exactly know what it’s called) sensor tube to the manifold. Mine was broke at the rear side of the tab, if you find someone a little handy with a tig welder (it’s stainless tubing) they should be able to weld it as I did mine a year ago and no trouble since.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so check the bracket that bolts the exhaust back pressure/ drive pressure ( I don’t exactly know what it’s called) sensor tube to the manifold. Mine was broke at the rear side of the tab, if you find someone a little handy with a tig welder (it’s stainless tubing) they should be able to weld it as I did mine a year ago and no trouble since.
That tube checked out good. I even removed it to take a closer look.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dang, maybe cracked manifold idk 🤔🤔 that’s a stumper.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
for sure, thanks for the ideas. I'll keep looking and if I find it I'll report back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine does the same thing and I can't figure it out. It was deleted at 10k miles and has done it since day one. If you figure anything out let me know because I'm stumped.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
tailpipe sure but I wouldn't think in the down pipe area..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts