Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I posted a thread about how my truck exhaust would make a chugging noise at idle, but recently I’ve noticed it’s running very hazy especially when it’s cold, this morning was about 65 degrees outside and it blew whiteish grey smoke at startup and ran very hazy for the first pull up the road then started to clear, it smells like burnt fuel, my mileage has also been taking a hit. I suspect I have an injector over contributing, and when I can afford it I’m going to take it for a contribution test, but it is my DD, I just want to know if I run it, not towing, will I kill a piston or cylinder with a leaky injector? I’ve been running a healthy amount of stanadyne and power service through it to no avail. trucks been acting this way for 5k miles or so, has 0 blow by cold and very very mild blow by warm. Truck doesn’t make oil, I think it’s actually consuming it because I need to change my ccv lol. No knocks or thick black or white smoke at all, just grey haze. Again I just want to make sure I won’t kill my engine

·
Registered
2006 2500 4x4, spinny wooshy thing, bigger sticks, toothpick trans, wallet weight reduction mod.
2,651 Posts
There's no way to tell if it'll burn it up or not. That's the risk you take by continuing to drive it, if an injector is going bad.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Understand that when I can afford it... If only my wage was inflationary

Drain the fuel filter housing, put ATF in, prime, start truck, turn off, soak overnight, best if you can do it warm to heat soak. I would add a quart or two to the tank depending on fuel ⛽ level.

Test cap it...
See if you can plug off the "hopefully" one injector that may be dripping. Use a real test cap as 10k+ PSI is nasty stuff to play with...

Then call any acquaintance who you can think of to see about scanning for the contribution test... Harvest that network for a big favor...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Drain the fuel filter housing, put ATF in, prime, start truck, turn off, soak overnight, best if you can do it warm to heat soak. I would add a quart or two to the tank depending on fuel ⛽ level.

Test cap it...
See if you can plug off the "hopefully" one injector that may be dripping. Use a real test cap as 10k+ PSI is nasty stuff to play with...

Then call any acquaintance who you can think of to see about scanning for the contribution test... Harvest that network for a big favor...
I actually have a friend with a snap on scanner, how do I preform a contribution test? Also does Bosch make a test cap?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Test cap it...

Either way right now it’s not knocking or pouring thick white smoke yet, I had planned on putting new injectors in at 300k, I’m at 280 right now, maybe I’ll send it till I can’t, I’m fine with putting injectors in later I just don’t want to put a piston in it too lol

·
Registered
218 Posts
I actually have a friend with a snap on scanner, how do I preform a contribution test? Also does Bosch make a test cap?
I haven't used the snap on scanner, but here is a short video. It appears to be odb-splainatory i.e. not that difficult for a kill test... which would be better than capping...or well faster..

I gather the contribution test (if available on snap on) would be an option to run the report.

Now, ya know to start saving the aluminum cans for recycle and picking up the pennies on the pavement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.