Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm thinking of installing a cut out with a down pipe on my 2015 CTD. I was thinking of putting it just after the turbo before all the emissions crap if there is room. Is that the best spot for it? Has anyone done this on a 2015? And if I get the proper tune will I be able to keep everything hooked up so it has the stock appearance? I want to delete without actually deleting it!

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,115 Posts
Hey guys I'm thinking of installing a cut out with a down pipe on my 2015 CTD. I was thinking of putting it just after the turbo before all the emissions crap if there is room. Is that the best spot for it? Has anyone done this on a 2015? And if I get the proper tune will I be able to keep everything hooked up so it has the stock appearance? I want to delete without actually deleting it!

Thanks.
That's the only spot. Anything after the dpf and/or scr will be no different in sound than what you currently hear.

There is room. And it is possible. Just find someone who can put some hangers under the truck to route exhaust wherever you want.

The tune your seeking from tuners is an emissions present tune.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
"The tune your seeking from tuners is an emissions present tune."

Actually no, he will still need a non emissions present tune. He will still have the emissions equipment installed but will be bypassing that equipment using an exhaust cutout to route the exhaust through a separate pipe. If he were to run an emissions present tune without the exhaust running through the emissions equipment then it will throw multiple codes and most likely go into limp mode.

·
Registered
9,115 Posts
"The tune your seeking from tuners is an emissions present tune."

Actually no, he will still need a non emissions present tune. He will still have the emissions equipment installed but will be bypassing that equipment using an exhaust cutout to route the exhaust through a separate pipe. If he were to run an emissions present tune without the exhaust running through the emissions equipment then it will throw multiple codes and most likely go into limp mode.
Thanks man. Yes you're right. It sounded better/made sense in my head when I was writing my response.

Just getting old :S:

·
Registered
576 Posts
Living in Ca, I'm looking at the same setup as you. I was thinking of running the raceme tuner so that I could turn the tune off to make it emissions legal and turn it on while using the cutout.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
351 Posts
Put you a single stack through the hood!

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I actually thought of this also. I thought of branching off before a large muffler and then tying back in behind it. Days I'm in a "loud truck" mood, I can open the cutout and bypass the muffler and still run through the tailpipe and tip. Days I'm in a quiet truck mood, I can run through the large muffler and still exit out the same tail pipe and tip. Kind of a "best of both worlds" type deal. I know mine wouldn't solely be for emissions reasons like the OP, but it has crossed my mind to try. (2) 4" exhaust pipes side by side under the truck would be pretty tight for what I would want to try though. That's why it's still just a thought of mine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've done it in the past on a couple of trucks but nothing new where tunes and emissions mattered. That being said the ability to switch tunes on the fly for emissions/no emissions will be necessary.

I like QTP for electric valves like this one

https://www.vividracing.com/catalog...lRmwdN1O9GeeuD2qVd_CdSr5jkKJR-Mw3rBoCOOzw_wcB

Or if you want to go bigger and heavier duty I would get a valve for a heated dump body, I've used those in the past as well.

·
World Champs!!!
23,971 Posts
Want to delete without deleting it...

You do realize you'll still fail an inspection if you're required to, and will still have no warranty, correct?

Basically you're attempting to find a loophole that doesn't exist; just delete the thing, or leave it stock.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Would the truck get upset about having a Y pipe being on there at all times? Would it notice the loss of pressure and throw a code? Essentially have half the exhaust go through the stock, and the other half out the other part of the Y.

(Throwing physics in this, a restriction device would need to be put in the Y to equally distribute the pressure.)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Would the truck get upset about having a Y pipe being on there at all times? Would it notice the loss of pressure and throw a code? Essentially have half the exhaust go through the stock, and the other half out the other part of the Y.

(Throwing physics in this, a restriction device would need to be put in the Y to equally distribute the pressure.)

Yes it most likely will not have the correct or (known) values reading on the exhaust pressure sensors, temp sensors, etc. Plus you would actually be doing more harm than good because come time for a regen, it will be losing too much heat through the open pipe and will not be able to reach regen temps.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Like said before, you will most likely fail the visual inspection of the guy knows what he's looking at. If that's not an issue to you then it will work fine as long as you have a delete tune in it and have a valve in place to route the entirety of the exhaust flow through the open pipe. As for the on the fly tunes, I'm not 100% sure you can switch on the fly between delete tunes and non delete tunes, that's mainly for timing and power levels. But I could be wrong on that. Either way it only takes ten or fifteen minutes to load a new tune using my autocal usually (not including time to load tune from my computer).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.