Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just lookn for some input from some of you guys that have used/use exhaust brakes. I heard they can be rough on valves. I pull anywhere from 15k to about 24k on a fairly regular basis.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Im not sure how they'd be hard on valves but I guess i don't know for sure. ALot of people run them. I don't have one my work truck has one but its the 6.7 and it works great.

·
Registered
228 Posts
i love the one on our 6.7 c&c work truck

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've got a Pacbrake on my '07. I wouldn't tow my fifth wheel without it.

I can head down any pass in Washington at about 19k combined and never have to touch the trucks brakes. Some of them I have to actually give it some throttle.

IIRC the 1st gens needed a valve spring upgrade to be able to utilize an exhaust brake.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
the only ones I have heard they are bad on is the pre98's. I will never tow another traielr with out it!!

Chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
Agree with every one else here, they are a huge asset when towing heavy in the mountains and hills. I had a PacBrake on my 99 and now have the factory on my '07. At the time PacBrake was the only one available for the '99 with an auto tranny.

I can't comment about being hard on valves simply because I don't have any knowledge either way.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Just finished putting my Cummins Exhaust brake on last week. Works great. Buddy has one on his 2005 that hauls heavy all the time and at 70,000 miles no problems and works great.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a question for those of you that have the brakes. Do you have to worry about EGT's or do most of them have a built in temp override?

·
SC Chapter President
1,288 Posts
My temp never gets high enough to worry about.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Exhaust brakes require 60# valve springs for trucks that don't have them stock.

I do not now which trucks didn't have them stock... Pre-98?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a pac brake on my 01 I run it even when im not hauling it's the best upgrade I have i barley ever touch the brakes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts