Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Exhaust brake

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Cummins 67 
#1 ·
My exhaust brake goes off every once in a while on its own even when not turned on. Is anyone else having this same issue?

#2 ·
I thought that mine was doing the same thing, and took it to the dealership and they told me that it was the EGR, not the exhaust brake, but it still sounds like the ex-brake to me!!

#4 ·
Yea, there's no way it's the EGR as the truck slows when it happens. I wonder what's causing it to go off.

#5 ·
Yes it is the egr opening and closing

#7 ·
Yes, its the egr.

If you want to know for sure.

Turn engine brake off and let it idle about four or five minutes and you will here it and think that your engine brake turnned on.:thumbsup

#8 ·
Keep in mind that the VGT turbo is actually considered a key element of the EGR system, using it as a restriction to force more exhaust gases into the high pressure stream.

There are times that the EGR system will command the VGT to engage at idle to force more exhaust through the EGR system. It may not apply as fully as when it is actually slowing the vehicle but it will sound similar.

#9 ·
my guess

First of all let me say that I have no exhaust brake (early c&c).
During regen when you come to a stop you will hear what sounds like your e brake turning on, when you accelerate you can hear it turn off. It's your turbo helping the egr circulate through the intake at low rpm's during regen. Your dpf will stop cleaning in park, when you put it in park it will idle rough due to the egr/vgt pausing the regen process. If you have the dpf removed your egr/vgt will still do this, as some have experienced unusual power bursts. Vgt's do not know the dpf is gone therefore soft codes during scheduled regens.

If you remove your egr it may take some load, and heat off the turbo. All we have to do is to communicate with the vgt... and code free :thumbsup

#10 ·
:thumbsup
First of all let me say that I have no exhaust brake (early c&c).
During regen when you come to a stop you will hear what sounds like your e brake turning on, when you accelerate you can hear it turn off. It's your turbo helping the egr circulate through the intake at low rpm's during regen. Your dpf will stop cleaning in park, when you put it in park it will idle rough due to the egr/vgt pausing the regen process. If you have the dpf removed your egr/vgt will still do this, as some have experienced unusual power bursts. Vgt's do not know the dpf is gone therefore soft codes during scheduled regens.

If you remove your egr it may take some load, and heat off the turbo. All we have to do is to communicate with the vgt... and code free :thumbsup
Guess you learn something new every day huh? I listened for it to happen again today. When it did, it didn't seem as strong as the E-brake but it still seemed to slow the truck down a little. Maybe i'm just imagining it though.:thumbsup

#13 ·
Uh no. :T: :beer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.