Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
So you have an Auto?
No auto has a 1st gear TC lock up. So no exhaust brake in 1st.
5-6 hunting. Are you using tow haul? Lock out a gear if not.
The new "Allison" 10L1000 in the 2020 GM's can lock in 1st gear. Lol. But yes, the 68rfe and aisin cannot lock in 2nd gear and the exhaust brake will not work without the TC being locked.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Here's another item for ya' RJ. . .

I have a 2016 3500 4x4 Longhorn with a 'cheap' front axle disconnect.
When I have to back into a tight spot with the camper on the truck 2WD-Low can be a real lifesaver. :thumbsup:

The switch to engage 2WD-Low is conveniently located on the right side of my center console. . .

A link & some sales propaganda listed below. . .

https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/p-14818-bd-1030705-2-low-unloc-differential-kit-13-18-ram-hd-09-18-ram-1500.aspx

It's a simple project that is 100% done from inside the cab. No heavy wrenching needed.
Mine works as intended. No issues at all.

Happy camping!
-Ej-
YOU are the Man!! This is exactly what I am looking for, didn't dawn on me that one could electronically disconnect the front axle. I will get this thing on order, Thank you!:grin2:

·
Registered
350 Posts
E brake works in all gears

The new "Allison" 10L1000 in the 2020 GM's can lock in 1st gear. Lol. But yes, the 68rfe and aisin cannot lock in 2nd gear and the exhaust brake will not work without the TC being locked.
I don't know about stock. BUT, the person that did my delete and trany tune did a good job.
Mine will work in all gears, TQ locked or not.
As I stated, I can manually downshift my auto trans, and turn a corner from highway speeds, without using the brake. It will EB in first, but no need for it. Towing or not, I can EB and just use brake a little to come to a stop, down shifting to 2nd gear.
5th and 6th lock soon and hard, 4th very rair, 3,2,1 I haven't seen locked on the edge moniter.
( I have no reason to lie, or start an argument )

·
Registered
610 Posts
Every 18 years GM uses its bailout (venture capital) money to R&D its drivetrain.

Then give up, and turn to Japan.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
The EB will only work when the TC is locked. Period.when the TC is unlocked the trans is not directly coupled to the engine so the EB would do nothing.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The EB will only work when the TC is locked. Period.when the TC is unlocked the trans is not directly coupled to the engine so the EB would do nothing.
Yes, true, but on these trucks its where lockup is, (second gear, 1700-1800RPM) that is in question.

The OP is finding ways to descend that hill and keep it locked, to utilize his EB.

And again, sometimes you just have to press that stop pedal, as inconvenient and horrible as that sounds.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Yes, true, but on these trucks its where lockup is, (second gear, 1700-1800RPM) that is in question.

The OP is finding ways to descend that hill and keep it locked, to utilize his EB.

And again, sometimes you just have to press that stop pedal, as inconvenient and horrible as that sounds.
I get that. I was talking to lineman. I should have quoted him I guess.

·
Registered
901 Posts
2019, 2500 4x4,towing a 25' travel trailer, The exhaust brake does not work in first gear no matter what the rpm's are. Does it work on anyone else's? Also this transmission seems to hunt 4-5-6 all the time in the hills towing. A lot of times it only holds 4 or 5 for only a split second, Can the dealer help that sort of thing? I frequently tow my trailer down a steep grade that is 5 miles long with a comfortable speed of 10-20 m.p.h. Just wondering.
With a steep grade, and you want to hold around 10MPH, I would
1) Select T/H mode
2) Push the exhaust brake button ONCE so the yellow dash light is on. "Full Exhaust Brake Active" will be displayed.
3) Select 2nd gear on the transmission lock out.

After that I would modulate the brake pedal to keep the exhaust brake active and keep the speed where I wanted. When in tow haul mode, and light pressure is applied AND KEPT on the brake pedal, the exhaust brake will activate and stay active till below a certain speed. EVEN in first. It will downshift all the way to first to get the RPM's to keep the exhaust brake active, then release right about when your near a stop. You might be asking it to activate below that speed which if I remember from the last time I towed last week was in the low teens.

Scroll to the Exhaust Brake horsepower display and monitor how much is applied in your case.

Also there is no way I know of to electronically disconnect the front axle on a 19 model.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts

1) Select T/H mode

2) Push the exhaust brake button ONCE so the yellow dash light is on. "Full Exhaust Brake Active" will be displayed.

After that I would modulate the brake pedal to keep the exhaust brake active and keep the speed where I wanted. When in tow haul mode, and light pressure is applied AND KEPT on the brake pedal, the exhaust brake will activate and stay active till below a certain speed. EVEN in first. It will downshift all the way to first to get the RPM's to keep the exhaust brake active, then release right about when your near a stop. You might be asking it to activate below that speed which if I remember from the last time I towed last week was in the low teens.

Scroll to the Exhaust Brake horsepower display and monitor how much is applied in your case.

Also there is no way I know of to electronically disconnect the front axle on a 19 model.

I have experimented with this type of procedure many times and a 68rfe, in stock configuration in a 2013, will not activate the EB in 1st gear. Only way I have been able to get EB to activate in 2nd is to first get it to activate in 3rd, then manually downshift to 2nd, regardless of EB mode or if TH is activated. Best bet for EB operation at low speeds is 4lo/2lo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,895 Posts
Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I right and not imagining
How do record on my phone and post reality to this thread/non beliavers
I have a fully deleted with trany tune on my 2015. I have the edge cts2 for guages only, and can record and audio my truck for the non believers.
The edge monitor only shows the locked up padlock in 5 and 6 and not often in 4th. And never in 1,2,and 3.
BUT MY EB works in ALL 6 gears manually down shifting.
I will video and audio it on my phone, but dont know how to post it, unless it's the same as doing a drag and drop pic thing

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
1) Select T/H mode

I have a f/a disconnect on its way, sales brochure states its good for 2019, guess I will find out in a few days if it will work or not. Hope your wrong!

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,895 Posts
I'll keep my g56 a few more years and then check the value.
Has 53k on it so in 3 years it should be around 56k.
MiB...
In a few more years there'll be on one left in America that knows how to use it, or what these strange hieroglyphics mean. :confused013:

·
Registered
470 Posts
I right and not imagining
How do record on my phone and post reality to this thread/non beliavers
I have a fully deleted with trany tune on my 2015. I have the edge cts2 for guages only, and can record and audio my truck for the non believers.
The edge monitor only shows the locked up padlock in 5 and 6 and not often in 4th. And never in 1,2,and 3.
BUT MY EB works in ALL 6 gears manually down shifting.
I will video and audio it on my phone, but dont know how to post it, unless it's the same as doing a drag and drop pic thing
The exhaust brake needs a physical connection between the engine and the transmission in order for it to work via the TC being locked so that the input shaft is connected to the output shaft and not by fluid coupling. I would be curious to see a video of what you are describing.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I can record it but how do i load it.

The exhaust brake needs a physical connection between the engine and the transmission in order for it to work via the TC being locked so that the input shaft is connected to the output shaft and not by fluid coupling. I would be curious to see a video of what you are describing.
First, I am going by the edge cts2, tranny gauge, and it never shows lockup in 1,2,3, and again rare in 4.
That said, I was out and about yesterday, and on the way back to the campground hear in TX, its a 75mph 4 lane road, I was locked in 6th and manually downshifted to turn in, (down hill) and the EB worked in all 6 gears.
I don't know what to say, it works, maybe it is locked up and the edge don't show it. As long as I have time and space, I can slowly downshift like a truck, and almost come to a stop.
I don't like to shift down to 1, as it gets aggressive. I never use tow haul, it works fine towing or not.
The place that did my tunes, does so many that they are licensed by the company, and do it all off a laptop. They have in stock all stuff to do all 3 name brands, In 3 different levels of delete. I went with full, stage 3. I didn't know anything about the tranny tune till I drove it and the tranny seemed more stout, and wouldn't shift into 5th till 50mph, and it wont shift into 6th until 63mhp. I would guess its not set up to nuts, as he said nothing about head bolts.
I would love to upload a video and audio of it ( I don't know how), or E-mail it to someone to confirm im not nuts and it works in all 6 gears.

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
First, I am going by the edge cts2, tranny gauge, and it never shows lockup in 1,2,3, and again rare in 4.
That said, I was out and about yesterday, and on the way back to the campground hear in TX, its a 75mph 4 lane road, I was locked in 6th and manually downshifted to turn in, (down hill) and the EB worked in all 6 gears.
I don't know what to say, it works, maybe it is locked up and the edge don't show it. As long as I have time and space, I can slowly downshift like a truck, and almost come to a stop.
I don't like to shift down to 1, as it gets aggressive. I never use tow haul, it works fine towing or not.
The place that did my tunes, does so many that they are licensed by the company, and do it all off a laptop. They have in stock all stuff to do all 3 name brands, In 3 different levels of delete. I went with full, stage 3. I didn't know anything about the tranny tune till I drove it and the tranny seemed more stout, and wouldn't shift into 5th till 50mph, and it wont shift into 6th until 63mhp. I would guess its not set up to nuts, as he said nothing about head bolts.
I would love to upload a video and audio of it ( I don't know how), or E-mail it to someone to confirm im not nuts and it works in all 6 gears.
Sorry, not in 1st gear. No TC lock up. Your charger may clampdown and sound like it, but TC needs to be locked to do anything.

·
Registered
901 Posts
After some thought, I thought of another way. Since the OP is asking for such a low speed, activate the downhill speed regulation, and set the speed to the desired rate of decent. I would also verify the trailer brake is in good working order and the gain is set.

In any event, the 2019's are DIFFERENT in many ways, so saying what works on a 18 and older won't help.
I just towed over 700 miles through the Smoky mountains and learned many new for 19 things. The trailer brake settings are totally different from my 13, and my exhaust brake will turn back on after I restart the vehicle. And yes, in tow haul mode with the Automatic Exhaust Brake setting activated, if I hold light brake pressure, the RAM downshifts all the way to first and the exhaust brake triggers with every downshift till about 12MPH? Didn't really take note of the exact MPH. The truck would even aggressively downshift at times to near redline. My 2013 would release the Ex brake activation much sooner.
Will post a thread on my towing observations soon. Big differences. 13-19.

·
Registered
350 Posts
My bad, i got it .

Sorry, not in 1st gear. No TC lock up. Your charger may clampdown and sound like it, but TC needs to be locked to do anything.
(My bad.) So today coming down the hill to the campground from a 75mph speed limit, I watched the edge ( what gear and locked or not locked ) gage. For my , first time down shifting.
AND, it stays locked in all gears but first. BUT, when going to first, it still has EB being applied but don't show the little locked padlock. ( and shifting to first can get aggressive ) for some reason.
Im sorry but first gear does have an aggressive EB. Don't know what to say.
Im just a dumb lineman, no mechanic. But its strange that the gears that don't lock up wile driving , 1,2,3 and 4ish, lock solid wile downshifting, with the trany tune.
Thank you for making me look at the gage, as I have no reason to doubt knowledge, and now I know it locks up down to second, now.
So why if I, at the right time? If I do downshift into first , will it get most aggressive?
I love learning and don't mind being wrong and admitting it.
I love the darn thing, a 2 door, 4+4 tradesman. Stock looking fun thing to drive.
Thanks and sorry for the confusion I caused.
( The original poster, (? could he get a tranny tune and still be stock to be able to keep locked in, second to go down the hill?

21 - 40 of 61 Posts