Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019, 2500 4x4,towing a 25' travel trailer, The exhaust brake does not work in first gear no matter what the rpm's are. Does it work on anyone else's? Also this transmission seems to hunt 4-5-6 all the time in the hills towing. A lot of times it only holds 4 or 5 for only a split second, Can the dealer help that sort of thing? I frequently tow my trailer down a steep grade that is 5 miles long with a comfortable speed of 10-20 m.p.h. Just wondering.

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
So you have an Auto?
No auto has a 1st gear TC lock up. So no exhaust brake in 1st.
5-6 hunting. Are you using tow haul? Lock out a gear if not.

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
I would make an appt to the dealer. it should work down to 15 - 18mph then release.
Not in 1st gear it won’t.

If you have a 4wd use a front disconnect and utilize low range 2nd gear.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,014 Posts
when i'm shifting manually down to 1st, mine definitely stays engaged until it gets below 1600 or something
like that.. i'll have to pay more attention in the morning on the coffee run.

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
when i'm shifting manually down to 1st, mine definitely stays engaged until it gets below 1600 or something
like that.. i'll have to pay more attention in the morning on the coffee run.
No unless you have some custom transmission, there is no 1st lock up.

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,849 Posts
2019, 2500 4x4,towing a 25' travel trailer, The exhaust brake does not work in first gear no matter what the rpm's are. Does it work on anyone else's? Also this transmission seems to hunt 4-5-6 all the time in the hills towing. A lot of times it only holds 4 or 5 for only a split second,
Can the dealer help that sort of thing?
I frequently tow my trailer down a steep grade that is 5 miles long with a comfortable speed of 10-20 m.p.h. Just wondering.
Greetings @Riverside Jeep
I'm no mechanic but here's what I learned from CumminsForum.con about exhaust braking. . .

* Torque converter must be locked for exhaust brake to engage.

* If engine speed drops below 1100 RPM exhaust brake will disengage.

* When slowing from highway speeds expect exhaust brake to (finally) disengage at about 17 MPH.

* Obviously run with Tow/Haul mode on.

Note:
I read a post here on CumminsForum.com a few months ago that the 1100 RPM exhaust brake dropout speed can be programmed down to 800 RPM.
I think it was an AlfaOBD thing. Use the search function for more info on that. :thumbsup:

And Riverside Jeep, one last thing here...

I'd be real, REAL interested in hearing what the dealer had to say about this issue.
Honestly, I can hardly wait. :w:

Please keep us posted.
Thanks,
-Ej-

·
Registered
550 Posts
So you have an Auto?
No auto has a 1st gear TC lock up. So no exhaust brake in 1st.
5-6 hunting. Are you using tow haul? Lock out a gear if not.
Yes. Noticed this on mine.

Exhaust brake will not engage when crawling down grade, at very low speeds.

As soon as the TC unlocks, your on the brakes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not in 1st gear it won’t.

If you have a 4wd use a front disconnect and utilize low range 2nd gear.
Would love to have a front axle disconnect, I used them all the time in the good old days of manual hubs. Could you imagine how long trans/rearends would last with some idiot with 840 lb/ft torque and a good load. I can see why they don't offer that anymore.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes. Noticed this on mine.

Exhaust brake will not engage when crawling down grade, at very low speeds.

As soon as the TC unlocks, your on the brakes.
Seems that the the no lockup in 1rst gear is the culprit. I am in tow/haul with the gears locked out above 2nd,1rst gear has no exhaust brake and 2nd at that speed is in freewheel mode ( unlocked) so I'm on the brakes the whole way down.

·
Registered
321 Posts
My deleted 2015, trans tune, will break in 1st gear, and my TQ converter only locks in 5th and 6th, very rare will it lock in 4th, and never on other gears. The E brake works in all gears, for me, locked or not. I only manual shift down to 2nd, as if I do 1st, it gets aggressive. If no one tailgating me, I can slow down to 2nd and turn a corner without using the breaks. I also tow about 8,000lbs travel trailer and never use tow haul. It will pull a hill with no problem and wont downshift.
I cant remember what it was like when it was stock.

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
My deleted 2015, trans tune, will break in 1st gear, and my TQ converter only locks in 5th and 6th, very rare will it lock in 4th, and never on other gears. The E brake works in all gears, for me, locked or not. I only manual shift down to 2nd, as if I do 1st, it gets aggressive.
I cant remember what it was like when it was stock.
Time to learn more about what you drive and how it works. You have yourself fooled pretty good here. Don’t take this personal, obviously you just don’t understand.

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,849 Posts
Seems that the the no lockup in 1rst gear is the culprit.
I am in tow/haul with the gears locked out above 2nd,1st gear has no exhaust brake and 2nd at that speed is in freewheel mode (unlocked) so I'm on the brakes the whole way down.
Exactly RJ,
Good reasoning right there. :thumbsup:
And the bonus is.... It didnt require letting a dealership's hands touch your truck. :hail:
-Ej-

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,849 Posts
Would love to have a front axle disconnect, I used them all the time in the good old days of manual hubs.
Here's another item for ya' RJ. . .

I have a 2016 3500 4x4 Longhorn with a 'cheap' front axle disconnect.
When I have to back into a tight spot with the camper on the truck 2WD-Low can be a real lifesaver. :thumbsup:

The switch to engage 2WD-Low is conveniently located on the right side of my center console. . .

A link & some sales propaganda listed below. . .

https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/p-14818-bd-1030705-2-low-unloc-differential-kit-13-18-ram-hd-09-18-ram-1500.aspx

It's a simple project that is 100% done from inside the cab. No heavy wrenching needed.
Mine works as intended. No issues at all.

Happy camping!
-Ej-

·
Registered
550 Posts
Well done.

In this thread you broke in last, however.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts