Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck is an 06 with an auto tranny. I was told that an auto and the exhaust brake are not a good combo. It does not work at times when you are under a braking load. I pull a 28' gn horse trailer and was thinking about an exhaust brake, but is it worth the $1800? Anybody have experience with the eb/auto combo?

Thanks.

Mary

·
Registered
708 Posts
no, I would not spend that kind of money on exhaust brake, just make sure your trailer has good brakes and you should be fine..

·
Registered
866 Posts
I thought that you had to have an auto for the exhaust brake because it also locks up the converter?

·
Washington Chapter Pres.
2,021 Posts
EB's work on auto's but not as well as the manuals. Unless you spend big$$$ and do it right with a lock up and all that. My instructor has on on his 95 Auto and it works great.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
You can buy the co pilot from ATS and it controls the exhaust brake for you. Shuts it off at a certain rpm and turns in on after lock up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a Pacbrake, wouldn't tow without it. I leave it on all the time, saves on brakes in the city. You go up in the mountains to 9000 ft. Then come down on a twisting winding road makes your hands sweat you can smell the brakes. After I installed the exhaust brake hardly have to touch the brakes. I love it! Side benifit it helps warm the engine up faster in the winter on cold mornings. But $1800 is lot, I found mine on ebay of about $1000. Real easy to install.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My truck is an 06 with an auto tranny. I was told that an auto and the exhaust brake are not a good combo. It does not work at times when you are under a braking load. I pull a 28' gn horse trailer and was thinking about an exhaust brake, but is it worth the $1800? Anybody have experience with the eb/auto combo?

Thanks.

Mary
You have an 06; they work great with an exhaust brake. I have a Pacbrake on my 06 and wouldn't pull without it. I tow from Alberta to Vancouver across the rockies and only use the brakes to slow down. The exhaust brake holds me back on all the passes. Just set the cruise and forget about it. The Pacbrake will pay for itself in brake jobs many times over for the life of the vehicle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the opinions

Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
6,757 Posts
no, I would not spend that kind of money on exhaust brake, just make sure your trailer has good brakes and you should be fine..
I disagree completely. I love my Pac Brake, got it for $1000 and did the install myself.
Do your truck and your trailer brakes a favor and get one, you'll love it too.

·
Registered
10,349 Posts
Yes you want an exhaust brake, they are great when towing... and since you have an 06 it was designed to incorporate an EB.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the dealer jake brake on mine...it works great. I'm really happy with it.

I think I ended up spending about $1800 or so, installed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts