Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! First real post, and after doing some research I have a list of questions.

I am looking at adding an exhaust brake to my setup. (mostly stock 97 auto, with the exception of, exhaust,intake,#10 plate, 3kgsk)

I pull 20K 3 times a year, a 10-15K trailer 12times a year but, drive weekly on long mountain hills.

I have been told if adding an exhaust brake I need to do everything from changing out the transmission, to just the valve body or Torqloc/pressure lock, to just buying just the E - brake kit from someplace like PACBrake or BD.

What components do you (the knowledgeable people) recommed getting for a system that won't be used too much under towing but mostly just saving brakes coming down logging roads?

Thank you for the time.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
You need to wire the torque convertor clutch so you can make it stay locked when you lift. Normally the TC clutch unlocks after the throttle is in idle position for a few seconds. That makes the exhaust brake about as effective as putting your hand out the window. Look here for how to do it: http://www.tstproducts.com/Torque Converter Lockup Switch.pdf

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So do I understand this right: That will basically take the place of lets say BD torqlock? Do I need to be worried about fluid pressure being too low?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Not quite, but close. The BD torqlock and other gadgets like that are automatic. With the switch you have to control lockup for exhasut brake use manually. It's cheap. A few bucks for the switch and wire.

If all you are going to do with it is for your exhaust brake then you don't have to do the other transmission upgrades. If you are going to use the lockup for racing or pulling hills with the TC clutch locked then you need to upgrade the transmission.

The basic info is on the TST website. There are alternatives for how to wire the switch. The TST method allows forced lock or PCM control. You an also wire it for forced lock, forced unlock, or PCM control. Email me if you want the diagram about how to do that.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Joe for the info!

So basically its not worth the 250 or so for a controller if all i am using the switch for is an exhaust brake or want it to do it automatically, i can just add my own manual switch so long as I remeber to swich back when i am not in 4th, or 3rd with od off.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
There is a gotcha here. The TC will NOT unlock until you turn off the switch. It will not shift down either. If you forget to turn the switch off the resulting earthquate from the engine when RPM drops too low will remind you. So you have to remember to turn it off for stop signs and so forth.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Bigger valve springs ? 60 lb. ??

:popcorn:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts