Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend my exhaust brake quit working, it's tried to work a couple times but for some reason it just isn't "kicking in". I generally run with it on all the time whether towing or not and have never had an issue with it. I was towing a 36' enclosed trailer full of sleds, another thing I think might be going on is the Tow/Haul feature not working as it doesn't seem to change the shift points. Both the lights on the dash come on indicating they are turned on. I'm not seeing any boost either when coming down a hill and it downshifts, just a couple times it tried to and I saw a little boost build for just a split second.

Truck is all deleted and has been since 6,000 miles (98,000 now). I'm assuming this is a turbo issue??

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Yeah it sounds like turbo problem to me, either it's just soothed up bad of I saw another guys a while back that had little tab in the turbo break off and it caused almost the same instant failure.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Id second that. something with your vgt isn't working. I helped my buddy clean out his 6.0 turbo and its pretty simple but I could also see how they gum up and fail overtime. your deleted at 100k bro, any other problems with the truck? im in rapid city if you need help with it sometime

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This has been the ONLY problem other than a Head Gasket last winter. After reading through several posts it sounds like I need to clean the turbo somehow and get rid of the CCV hose feeding soot to it.

Id second that. something with your vgt isn't working. I helped my buddy clean out his 6.0 turbo and its pretty simple but I could also see how they gum up and fail overtime. your deleted at 100k bro, any other problems with the truck? im in rapid city if you need help with it sometime

1 - 5 of 5 Posts