Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Exhaust Brake advice

1989 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Fisherguy
My Cummins exhaust brake has not been working for the past couple of weeks, found out today that the belt driven vacuum pump is toast. Cost to replace pump plus rebuild the brake itself, worn parts, is almost $1000.00 CAD including labour. Given that there are many different manufacturers of exhaust brakes I'm turning to the members here for their advice, repair or replace with new. If replace with new which is the best value for money spent. Thanks.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Master of Mayhem NASFIG
12,513 Posts
if its just the pump go cummins or jacob believe you can get replacement parts for them cheap. dont know what else would really wear out

· Registered
187 Posts
There is probably nothing wrong with the brake itself. The pump is available from any cummins dealer. The Jacobs part number and the cross reference to Cummins is on jakebrake.com. Jacobs does not make the brake any longer and they do not sell parts. You will have to go to Cummins. Just be thankful its not the vacuum pot like mine. The pot does not come separate. I would have to buy a whole new or used assembly, but have decided to try and find a pot that I can adapt to the brake to make it work.

· Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, my next call will be to Cummins, see what they can come up with.

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
So which is better..the Jacobs unit or the Banks? I m looking at adding one to my '06 QC 4x4 within the next few months. Which works better and is more cost effective?
Neither, the Pac Brake is the better one, some people like the BD unit.

· Registered
1,304 Posts
Im sure they are about the same..IMO its your intake that you hear all the noise.. my Ebake was louder after I put an open element filter on...oppose to an air box..

· Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Cummins has replied to an email I sent Friday. They sent a complete parts list as well as the install instructions. From what they sent it appears all I'm missing is the vacuum pump, mounting bracket and serpentine belt plus an assortment of nuts and bolts. I've requested pricing on the vacuum pump and hardware. All the wiring, and hoses appear to be still in the engine bay. So far so good. Asked them about a rebuild kit for the brake itself and as bd797 said, shouldn't be necessary.

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get the vacuum pump from Cummins, under 300 there and something like 1000 from the dealer from what others have said, that's what makes the Pac Brake more appealing, vacuum pumps have been known to fail.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.