Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All-
Realizing that I am going to catch a raft of crap for starting yet another “exhaust” thread:banghead:, I have, after having read pretty much every thread on here covering the topic, once again come seeking “individualized” advice and opinions. It is time to upgrade the factory exhaust and I am trying to choose between the 4” Banks Monster and the 5” Magnaflow systems. Both will have to be stainless cat-back systems, since I live in a diesel emissions state/county with heavily salted winter roads, and have a muffler since I live with my wife. The latter is also the reason I need to keep things in the $450-475 range.

I am not sure if this is even possible with the cat installed but my main goals with are to get that nice, deep Cummins exhaust note that turns heads and also keeps the EGTs in check. Finally, I would love to say that I am ultimately going to drive a 500+ hp behemoth but that realistically is not likely to ever happen (see reference to wife above) so I don’t worry too much about outgrowing whatever system I decide to go with - in so much as a 60 hp chip will likely be it. Finally (really this time), I am not too worried about the potential loss of some low end torque and spool that I have heard comes with the larger diameter systems….I’m just looking for some nice sound outside with minimal drone inside.

As always, I appreciate all your comments and any advice on which way to go- :yourock:

Kraig

· Registered
474 Posts
Hi All-
Realizing that I am going to catch a raft of crap for starting yet another “exhaust” thread:banghead:, I have, after having read pretty much every thread on here covering the topic, once again come seeking “individualized” advice and opinions. It is time to upgrade the factory exhaust and I am trying to choose between the 4” Banks Monster and the 5” Magnaflow systems. Both will have to be stainless cat-back systems, since I live in a diesel emissions state/county with heavily salted winter roads, and have a muffler since I live with my wife. The latter is also the reason I need to keep things in the $450-475 range.

I am not sure if this is even possible with the cat installed but my main goals with are to get that nice, deep Cummins exhaust note that turns heads and also keeps the EGTs in check. Finally, I would love to say that I am ultimately going to drive a 500+ hp behemoth but that realistically is not likely to ever happen (see reference to wife above) so I don’t worry too much about outgrowing whatever system I decide to go with - in so much as a 60 hp chip will likely be it. Finally (really this time), I am not too worried about the potential loss of some low end torque and spool that I have heard comes with the larger diameter systems….I’m just looking for some nice sound outside with minimal drone inside.

As always, I appreciate all your comments and any advice on which way to go- :yourock:

Kraig
To get the deep sound while leaving the cat and muffler in place(or aftermarket muffler) might be tricky. The cat cuts down a lot of that good Cummins sound. I am not to familiar with "legal" exhaust systems but here is a thought. What if you had your factory exhaust to the cat(4") Then jumped to 5". Possibly the smaller exhaust dumping into the larger exhaust might get some good amplification. There should be some people on here that have systems you are talking about that will give better advise. They will be around...

· Bangin' through the gears
5,521 Posts
Wow

Before I copy and paste my Utah vehicle emissions findings I want to say, Utah.......you can have it!

http://www.aamva.org/aamva/DocumentDisplay.aspx?id={C01714C1-F35F-4F31-B4AC-68263F0E4CB8}

UTAH
TESTABLE AREA: The counties of Davis, Utah, Salt Lake &
Weber. Each county conducts it own I/M
program.
MODEL YEARS TESTED: 1968 and newer. Emission certificates are
good for two months.
EXEMPT VEHICLES: The 1st year (MSO) is exempt and
motorcycles. Exemptions may apply for
replica vehicles with a body that is or
resembles the body of a motor vehicle with
a model year prior to 1975 and used for
occasional pleasure rides and not for
general daily transportation.
TYPE OF TEST CONDUCTED:
TEST FREQUENCY:
TEST FEE/OTHER REQUIREMENTS: Vary, from $15 to $25 depending on county.
Utah County - Diesel test fees are $15 plus $9 PAC fee at
registration. Gas fees are open ended with
a $1 APC fee at registration (most stations
have been charging $20 or $25).
Salt Lake County - Gasoline - $25.00 maximum
Diesel - $23.00 maximum
TYPES OF VEHICLES TESTED: Gasoline (all four counties); light duty and
heavy duty diesel (Davis, Salt Lake and
Utah Counties).
RECIPROCAL REQUIREMENTS:
(Out-of-State Tested in Utah) -
Utah County - Will test any out of state vehicle (two-speed
idle on pre-1996, check for AIS and
catalytinc converter on 1977-1989, also
EVAP, PCV, gas cap and EGR on 1990-
1995). OBD test on 1996 and newer (twospeed
idle if vehicle is not ready or does not
pass). OBD will be pass fail after January
1, 2001.
(Out-of-State Tested in Utah) -
Salt Lake County - Vehicles that are registered out of state, but
tested in Salt Lake County must meet the
same tampering and testing standards as
vehicles registered in Salt Lake County.
The same test fees apply.
(Utah Registered Vehicles
Located Out of State) -
Utah County - Will accept any out of state test on vehicles
that are 1984 or newer. Require vehicles
older than 1984 to be brought to our facility
for a tampering inspection.
(Utah Registered Vehicles
Located Out of State) -
Salt Lake County - These vehicles must complete an out of
state exemption form and be tested
according the testing procedures applicable
at the location. If the vehicle is located in
an area that has an emission testing
program, an emission certificate must be
provided for that locale along with the out of
state exemption form. If the vehicle is
located in an area that does not have an
emissions testing program, an out of state
exemption form is completed and submitted
without an emission certificate. These
vehicles must be tested in Salt Lake County
within ten days of returning to Salt Lake.

^^^^^^what is up with this place? Utah just moved up a notch on the "hippy save the world greenie board" in my mind! Pollution is not the solution, but what the heck? I just spent some time trying to figure out where we were with our vehicle emissions in a global view, but couldn't find anything. I did read something once that showed what our EPA was after and how it compared with other countries and it was above and beyond anywhere else.

I've gone a bit off topic here :lol4:

I normally would say get the 5" magnaflow, I think they make great products and if you do some searching you can get a good price on them as well (don't for get to try our vendors). But, seeing as how you have to have your vehicle tested like crazy down there maybe you would be better off finding some exact testing requirements for your area somewhere on the web. Or maybe just go in to your local testing place and see what you can get away with?

· Registered
48 Posts
i am in a heavily salted area and you know as well as i do salt will always win so longevity is out. if you want the sound a cat back system would be the way to go. you know that the system will rot out so a factory cat you might be able to get some warranty. the testing looks like it sucks.

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to everyone for their sound advice (pun intended).

Yup, the Wasatch front counties of Utah are pretty strict on their emissions regs. Jeez and I thought CA was bad. Wish I could find a way to get a mailing address in one of the more rural coutnies so I could cut the cat and register there. Although I have heard that a non cat'd late model 5.9L will pass emissions just not "visual" inspection.

I have listened to audio clips of both 4" and 4" cat to 5" out systems but it is really hard to judge sound from them. I was hoping someone on here was running the Magnaflow 5" cat back system and could chime in on sound and drone under load.

Thanks again to all and I will be sending out a request for pricing on the Magnaflow to see if that helps me decide one way or the other.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.