Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 12v standard Dodge 3500 Dually. Have had it since 135,000 miles. Truck has a ton of power but not without blow by and a big oil leak. I was told it needs rebuilt- trying to milk another 10,000 miles out of it before doing a rebuild so I have the funds to do it. If you set the oil cap on the filler tube, it flaps (like the end of a tractor exhaust) but does not blow it off. The harder it works, the more oil it uses. Around town without pulling I will use a quart every 200 miles. Pulling 8 horses in a stock trailer 100 miles it dumps around a gallon out of the blow by tube. Undercarriage of the truck is covered in oil. It has no other leaks then this one. Is there anyway to slow it down any? Could it be something other then a rebuild? Truck runs amazing, tons of torque. Has no issue pulling hills or going 75-80 mph with a load.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Run a compression test and do a cylinder leak down test. The results of these tests will answer all of your questions. If it is puking that much oil I doubt you will get another 10k miles out of it but anything is possible. To have that much blow bye I’m surprised it has as much power as you say it has.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Run a compression test and do a cylinder leak down test. The results of these tests will answer all of your questions. If it is puking that much oil I doubt you will get another 10k miles out of it but anything is possible. To have that much blow bye I’m surprised it has as much power as you say it has.
It has been doing this for a while come to find out, just I’d take it to a shop and theyd find a new oil leak. Even the shops have said they cannot believe the power it has for the blow by it has. I have mainly been using it to go 10 miles down the road to get hay lately. A bit concerned to go to far.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
I installed the dual vented valve covers, plugged the factory vent tube and replaced the dip stick, that stopped a lot of the oil slobbering out on the ground but didn't do anything about the oil mine was burning. Changed it from a qrt per 100 to a qrt per 400 until I could get time to rebuild an engine.

With it pushing that much oil out under load you could have a turbo pushing air into the crankcase.

·
Premium Member
4,707 Posts
Unhook the turbo oil drain to see if the turbo went bad and is pressurizing the crankcase.

Otherwise your engine is toast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts