Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so theres a guy on here with 3x6 recangular tubing hooked up to his exhaust well what i want to no is can i use 6063 alumum for this or should i go a36 hot roll steel? i plan on welding my stacks onto it :thumbsup

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump does anyone no anything about metal ? i can buy this peice from a local shop 6 ft long new for 190 somthing

·
Registered
9 Posts
i would'nt think that alum would hold up to the heat i would go with 304 stainless steel

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
If aluminum pistons are holding up to the heat, I'd hope that aluminum exhaust would hold up to the heat...

The problem would be in the heat expansions and contractions; I don't know if there's a special way of welding aluminum to steel to keep it together, or if that would even be a problem.

What are you planning on using the pipe for? A crossover in the bed for dual stacks?

Isn't steel still half the price of aluminum?

·
Registered
9 Posts
pistons are made with a 4000 series alum that has alot more silicon added to take heat

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Aluminum will Work fine!!! My buddy has aluminum square tube stacks and the Y is built out of the alum. also. Works fine. Go for it!!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Aluminum will crack also with vibration. You could weld aluminum pipe on to the box and then clamp steel stacks to it.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I once took a big rig to a welding shop so they could weld the bumper back together where someone had broke it backing up. I knew it was aluminum and the guy was using a stick welder trying to weld it. He kept striking an arc and then a big ball of the bumper would drop off like wax. Finally I said " you know that is aluminum right". He was quite embarrased.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Surely there's some fancy schmancy way to weld aluminum to steel, no? I know welders to get awfully fancy...
You want to try? Come on over. I've got TIG, MIG, Gas and GMAW you can entertain us with.:T::popcorn:
It would HAVE to be a mechanical connection to mate the two metals.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I'm no welder, my expertise runs out at running a crappy bead and using JB Weld. I didn't know that there was much anymore that couldn't be welded.

So use a couple flanges, or even a few L-brackets.

·
Banned
624 Posts
I'll put my money on Begle! :thumbsup
He already has the right welder to do it, JB Weld!
:beer

·
Registered
242 Posts
brazing anyone?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts