Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so theres a guy on here with 3x6 recangular tubing hooked up to his exhaust well what i want to no is can i use 6063 alumum for this or should i go a36 hot roll steel? i plan on welding my stacks onto it :thumbsup

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump does anyone no anything about metal ? i can buy this peice from a local shop 6 ft long new for 190 somthing

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
If aluminum pistons are holding up to the heat, I'd hope that aluminum exhaust would hold up to the heat...

The problem would be in the heat expansions and contractions; I don't know if there's a special way of welding aluminum to steel to keep it together, or if that would even be a problem.

What are you planning on using the pipe for? A crossover in the bed for dual stacks?

Isn't steel still half the price of aluminum?

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Aluminum will Work fine!!! My buddy has aluminum square tube stacks and the Y is built out of the alum. also. Works fine. Go for it!!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Aluminum will crack also with vibration. You could weld aluminum pipe on to the box and then clamp steel stacks to it.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I once took a big rig to a welding shop so they could weld the bumper back together where someone had broke it backing up. I knew it was aluminum and the guy was using a stick welder trying to weld it. He kept striking an arc and then a big ball of the bumper would drop off like wax. Finally I said " you know that is aluminum right". He was quite embarrased.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I'm no welder, my expertise runs out at running a crappy bead and using JB Weld. I didn't know that there was much anymore that couldn't be welded.

So use a couple flanges, or even a few L-brackets.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.