Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1997 5.9 i6 12 valve fuel shut off working properly has Diesel in tank I stuck in North Carolina working wife drive to work said she pulled out of gads station to buy a coffee pulled out on hwy after about 1/4 mile truck died I've tried walking a fella thru the steps to determine if it was shut off solenoid it was working properly anymore suggestions would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Sucking air? Fuel leak? You need a fuel pressure gauge to figure out if you lift pump is going.

·
The 10th Man
4,367 Posts
So your sure it's not the FSS.

And your sure the injector pump is getting good fuel.

Well those are the main reasons for it to not start. How did it die? Did it just die all of a sudden? Or did it sputter and then die? That would help narrow down the problem.

What about truck mods?
Year?

One thing you could try is loosening one or more of the injector lines and turn the truck over a few times and see how much fuel comes out (flooring it while cranking). If nothing comes out then there's a fuel delivery problem. If a bunch of fuel comes out then try loosening 3 lines and cranking it over to try and bleed any air that might be in there, then tighten them back up and see if she starts. If that doesn't fix it then it sounds like there's something wrong with timing or something on the engine side.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok up days had bil go look at truck says it will stay running for a second them die but when trying to accelerate it's not doing anything not 100% on voltage to fss or to relay not there to check bit that's the most recent update.... I've read the injector pump should b least or my worries but what about lift pump I'm clueless I've only owned truck a month or so

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Lift pump sounds like a possibility, I would still look for a fuel leak or air leak somewhere. Your fuel heater may have burned out and caused an air leak. The lift pump won't move anything if its full of air. Check your fuel lines from the IP back to the tank. Sometimes the steel lines corrode and cause air to leak into the system.

·
VP of the dry side
4,217 Posts
I've seen them run without the lift pump working. Given that was an electric pump. And op...you should definitely slow down and use some grammar and punctuations..hard to read what the heck your trying to say. I'd wire the solenoid up and see what it does

On Cummins forum instead of working or doing homework

1 - 9 of 9 Posts