Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Ever wonder why deleteing your egr coolers a good idea?

9K views 34 replies 20 participants last post by  johndeerrm 
#1 ·
This happened this week on a mf13. Hydro locking is a bad thing

Sent from my Droid Charge

See less See more
#2 ·
:shock:Ouch! Glad mine fell off!:rof

#7 ·
Water/coolant doesnt compress. When u introduce that into the engine the steel has more give than the water therefore the rod bends over the water giving more

#9 ·
the thread says wonder why its a good idea. so i would believe that the truck still had egr intact.

#10 ·
No this happened cause a cooler blew and coolant hydro locked the engine. Deleteing it keeps this from happening. It also jubked the block too. Needs a whole new engine

#14 ·
There must be EGR theives all I've the country. Mine got stolen like a few months after I bought my truck. I wonder what they are doing with them all...

#15 ·
Pretty sick pic btw. Talk about a bad day

#16 ·
ive seen this more then i can count on cummins engines the great thing about the ISB is the egr cooler is above the engine and it runs back into the exhuast and into the cylinders and then you got to start it and she is locked up. ive seen a ISX do the same thing as that maxforce but it didnt ruin the block not trying to brag but i guess them cummins blocks are stronger then them Internationals ha ha

#17 ·
I don't think the coolant will run back in the cylinders with the velocity of gas exiting the exhaust ports. More likely what is happening is that when EGR is commanded it pulls through the cooler, exhaust gas and coolant, into the intake side, and then you get the big bang. :thumbsup:

#20 ·
Hes meaning itll hydrolock too if u let it sit and try to start it. Coolant will run in thata way

#22 ·
Sucks man, however its refreshing to see that some people still have the common sense to understand why this happened instead of just pissing on dodge like other people on this forum. You should be covered just fine, however you know I got to say it, once fixed please just do a full delete and call it a day. Worse case you could always slap that junk back on and play stupid as hell.

#23 ·
if dodge designed it they deserve to get bagged on for it and its subsiquint catostrofic failures.

$45,000+ and a completely non-crusial and un-neccessary component cause a complete and udder destruction....... im gona warranty that biotch and make then eat every possible penny.

engineers are the worst thing to happen to modern industry in the last 30 years.

#24 ·
No my friend. The EPA is the worst thing to happen in 30yrs not the engineers. What most you guys dont know is that these guys are all very smart. Alot of the reason things are screwed up is cost issues or emissions reason or both combined. They have alot of grewat ideas that would work awsome that i cant really comment on but it would raise prices too much and thats not good for anyone

#29 ·
A couple of guys I know from school are working at Ricardo, who does contract engine calibrations. Their task was to find out how to make the soot particles so small that the emissions tests can't read them. So yeah it'll still be making soot, but the molecule size is so miniscule that it'll pass. No extra hardware needed :party018:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.