Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance, I know these threads are tiresome, and annoying. But I have never dynoed my truck, the clutch has finally decided to give up the ghost and I am having a tough time deciding which SBC to buy. I have read through their website several times and it seems very important to match the cluth to the power of the truck.
I don't want to over estimate and end up with a clutch that is miserable to use.
My truck is a 2002 HO 6spd, with a SO pump, ( replacement pump ) It has mach 1.5 injectors, Edge comp (wire tapped) MBRP 4inch turbo back exhaust, AFE air filter/intake

Any educated guesses?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Is that all that is done to the truck what u have listed

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have dual electric fuel pumps, and in the post I listed my Mach 1.5 injectors which are not in my signature, But other than that yes, this is my truck as it is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do you tow alot?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably half dozen times a year, various things, usually 10-15k lbs. So medium heavy I guess. There maybe some little loads, jet skis etc, mixed in there. But not too much.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Reactions: sportster1208

·
Registered
35 Posts
Probably half dozen times a year, various things, usually 10-15k lbs. So medium heavy I guess. There maybe some little loads, jet skis etc, mixed in there.

Over estimate your HP, save the money you want to put into makin smoke/HP and build a bullet proof trans. Edge comp and a intake/exhaust smoked my stock trans at 60k(auto), preachin to the choir probably but thats my trans .02

·
Rescue Tower
10,810 Posts
350hp........... 215+120+150- 10% driveline=350
The math is good, but you don't subtract the drive train. Power at the crank is what the clutch sees. So the number is closer to 500. 485hp if you want to use the numbers provided.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Almost 500hp? You guys seriously think so? I mean I would love to have a 500hp truck but I was under the impression, from reading these forums that my stock turbo would not support over 400hp.

I am not arguing, but that number seems high to me.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Almost 500hp? You guys seriously think so? I mean I would love to have a 500hp truck but I was under the impression, from reading these forums that my stock turbo would not support over 400hp.

I am not arguing, but that number seems high to me.
Not to go against what the others are saying, but there's no way you're making anywhere near 500HP. Mach 1.5 injectors are rated at ~75HP, and can maybe be stretched to ~90HP on an HO engine. Besides, it's not realistic to think that any power product will net you 100% of it's advertised power. With that said, let's assume ideal numbers for some quick math:

215 + 120 + 90 = 425 HP at the flywheel

Once you correct that number for actual power produced, it's probably more like 400HP. At the rear wheels you're probably making ~350HP.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
And back to the question at hand- are you looking for a single or dual disk setup?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for your help. I called South Bend clutch and talked to Peter.

I thought I would need to already know my trucks approximate power to talk to them.

But he asked me what I had in the truck, and right away said " You are at about 412 horsepower to the rear wheels, you need a 1947 ofe"

Easy as pie! I thank you for all your help, I have the clutch he recommened on order.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Thanks everyone for your help. I called South Bend clutch and talked to Peter.

I thought I would need to already know my trucks approximate power to talk to them.

But he asked me what I had in the truck, and right away said " You are at about 412 horsepower to the rear wheels, you need a 1947 ofe"

Easy as pie! I thank you for all your help, I have the clutch he recommened on order.
Very good. That's a nice clutch, and you'll be very happy with it.

Regardless of the exact power you're making, I would have recommended you call Southbend as you did, and as was suggested earlier. Beyond that, the 1947 OFE is the clutch I would have recommended for you (not that my opinion matters one bit since you've talked to the experts). You're all set!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
2002CTD- I always intended to call them , but I thought I would need to know my approximate power when I called. I didn't realize those guys would be as expert at estimating power as they are with clutches. But he didn't hesitate when I told him my combination. Which makes me feel good about the choice.

I also told him how I used the truck and how much and how heavy I tow.

Justadonor- That clutch was actually my original choice, but the expert himself recommended this one, for less money and better manners around town I am very happy and confident in his choice.

I am very happy with my trucks power, so I don't anticipate changing anything. I have driven it like this for about 50k miles. So I doubt I will get tired of it as it is. It will pull anything I have ever needed it to, as fast as I wanted to go. Can only be better with the right clutch.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.