Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<span lang="EN-US">The Environmental Protection Agency first began to suspect Fiat Chrysler of using an illegal emissions control device on its EcoDiesel V6 engine back in 2015, it has been revealed.
According to emails obtained through the Freedom of Information Act, EPA regulators first approached FCA about its alleged use of an emissions control device in November of 2015. One of the emails, sent by EPA director Byron Bunker in January of 2016, said how the agency was “very concerned about the unacceptably slow pace” of FCA to address the high nitrogen oxide levels produced by its 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6 engine.</span>

<span lang="EN-US">Read more about the FCA at AutoGuide.com.</span>

·
Registered
900 Posts
I am not shocked at this- using the VM 3.0 was a mistake in my opinion.

·
Registered
10,425 Posts
Yep. I've got many Nissans with the 5.0 Cummins in my area. A guy flew past me with a sizable boat the other day. Clean truck.

·
World Champs!!!
24,829 Posts
The EcoDiesel is a great little engine, and fits it's intended role VERY well. They routinely pull 30mpg+

The 3.0 certainly wasn't a mistake, and they are torquey little SOB's around town; yes a bit anemic at higher speeds but that's to be expected some.

I don't buy this cheating BS, the pieces just don't add up. EPA has had a hardon for diesels for years now.

Let's also mention that they are being built again....albeit in small numbers right now.

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
The EcoDiesel is a great little engine, and fits it's intended role VERY well. They routinely pull 30mpg+

The 3.0 certainly wasn't a mistake, and they are torquey little SOB's around town; yes a bit anemic at higher speeds but that's to be expected some.

I don't buy this cheating BS, the pieces just don't add up. EPA has had a hardon for diesels for years now.

Let's also mention that they are being built again....albeit in small numbers right now.
That they do, and since they won the one against VW which resulted in a huge paycheck its opened the door to winning against others. Once they found that FCA was getting the same Bosch sensors for there 3.0 as VW was for there TDIs .....

Like a crook that figures out a home security system. They are going to just keep going after places with the same system

·
World Champs!!!
24,829 Posts
Bingo. It's a money-grab at this point. Thanks Quint

·
Premium Member
738 Posts

We have the Grand Cherokee - great little ride. Only issues we have had was when the dealer repaired an oil leak and did not replace the fuel rails after removing them. They are a one time replacement - dealer reused the old ones. They blew apart twice and left us stranded. Once repaired correctly per a mopar repair doc I provided we have since had zero issues. FCA did give us oil changes for 6 years on both the Jeep and our RAM for all the trouble. The ECO Diesel seems to do the job just fine in the Jeep and puts out 25 to 30 + MPG. It is no Cummins buts does meet our needs for the Jeep.

EPA and CARB are on a mission to kill all diesels.

·
World Champs!!!
24,829 Posts
EPA and CARB are on a mission to kill all diesels.
Yep. Couldn't have said it better. And it really tweaks me.....

I'm semi-waiting to see what the new 1500 looks like, and if it's available with the EcoD. I still want one as a daily grinder.

·
Registered
510 Posts
This post has been removed

·
Registered
800 Posts
Hmmm we are beginning to think about a new(er) vehicle for my wife and an ecodiesel grand Cherokee might be the the ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I don't think they're on a mission to kill diesels. They're on the same mission as every big business in the world: making money. The problem is they've forgotten that they're a government agency, not a business. They're acting like a personal injury law firm, trying to get huge paychecks out of some hippie tree-hugger getting butt-hurt.

They don't go after power companies. Why? Because power companies BUY exemptions. They don't say a word about the EU having lower emissions standards and higher fuel-quality standards than the US. They don't support initiatives to help developing countries curtail emissions which affect the global environment. But they do sue the pants off everyone of whom they don't approve.

When they sued Jesse James over his motorcycles not having emissions controls despite the engines being certified by S&S (the engine manufacturer) as clean enough to not require them, he tested one. He provided evidence in court showing his bikes polluted less than a Prius, mile for mile, plus saw an average of under 1000 road miles a year. EPA refused to drop it. He offered to recall every single unit and fit emissions controls. They declined. Why? Because they wanted to fine him into bankruptcy. And thanks to the circuit court in CA, they succeeded. Shop shut down, jobs lost, and he'll be having his taxes garnished til the completely exhorbitant fines are paid off. IIRC, the fine they levied was the retail cost of every bike he'd produced - same as what they did to VAG.

Difference is VAG is diversified enough to absorb it (though painfully). They started going after every boutique bike builder immediately after they won against James. Once they took down Big Dog, I think several others saw the writing on the wall and just folded. The precedent is set now for automotive OEMs... they're going to go after all of them until they find something else to feed their business model. Dollars to donuts GM isn't far behind til their little diesels are in the crosshairs of EPA. God help FoMoCo if they put out a diesel F150...

·
World Champs!!!
24,829 Posts
I can't disagree at all Pozz, but I do believe 100% they want diesels dead and gone. The "green" movement, thus money, is in electric and hybrids now. And everyone knows it.

I will never own an electric, just off principle. I'll drive my gas guzzling small and big blocks until it's impossible, either because fuel is north of $20 a gallon, or it's near-impossible to get.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Last time I was in Europe, it was almost $2 a liter. It just boggles my mind that our fuel taxes are twice what theirs are, our roads are crap by comparison, our own government is actively trying to destroy an industry which gainfully employs tens of thousands of people, and the bloated bureaucracy which is supposed to be monitoring and providing legislative suggestions is acting like an independent fourth branch of government trying to destroy the industry which justifies its existence. This is tantamount to the FDA trying to ban Rx drugs...

·
Registered
510 Posts
This post has been removed

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
My parents just returned from England where they plan to ban all diesel vehicles. They are now saying the emissions are much much worse than gasoline. I think its criminal.. They were pushing diesels in Europe for years and now they want them gone..
They've changed their tune to a complete ban now? Last couple years they've been pushing to get them barred from urban areas - downtown city proper - only. Then they'd decided to enact a "congestion tax" for any private roadgoing passenger vehicle to operate within city limits. Allegedly to make the city more bicycle and pedestrian friendly. Main push was smog in London. I guess Parlaiment doesn't realize London is a LOT bigger than it was when it's streets were primarily navigated by foot traffic and ox carts... Oddly, they were only talking about passenger cars, and saying noting about mass transit (signature double deckers and most taxis are diesel), municipal works, or construction vehicles. The latter of which are, like power production plants, significantly less stringently pollution controlled.

Hey,it'll get a lot of pensioners off the rolls so their socialized-everything will be more affordable when the geezers start having heart attacks from walking to the corner store, anyway, and make room for more taxpayers to move in. And it'll ease congestion when all thebillionaire oil sheiks' kids import their supercars to party for a month before Ramadan...

Reactions: CB90

·
World Champs!!!
24,829 Posts
Yeah, France I think wants diesels gone by 2022 or something, and seems other EU countries are falling in line.

·
Registered
44 Posts
El Pozzinator,

Sorry... but I know this will teeee you off but.. European taxes are high as h#ll. Ever hear of VAT tax,,,
Also you claim that:

Diesel is only 2 bucks a liter.. a little math here: 3.785412 liters equal one gallon.
THAT IS $ 7.57 A GALLON.......... YOU STILL THINK EUROPE IS Cheaper ???? Last time I was in Oklahoma road diesel was $2.15 a gallon that is 0.66 cents a liter..... NOT $2.00 A LITER..!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts